The Student Room Group

How to convinced my mum I want to do other A Levels?

So I'm in year 12 - Sixth Form and doing Chem, Bio and Eng Lang. I absolutely hate Chem and Bio and have explained so in my other thread. My mother has said to me to see how these mock exams go and then she will consider if i can restart in college.I want to do Eng Lit, Lang and Sociology in College. HOWEVER, my mother is pushing me to do these A Levels even though i am failing and behind on lots of work. Even if i end up passing - I STILL want to do A Levels of my own choice. I want As not Es and Us and I know I can get those grades. But I don't know how I can persuade her. I know I want to study a degree in Law and I know I want to go to a Russel Group university but I don't know how I can persuade my mother when I have been trying so hard to, since - basically - a couple of months into year 12. Today my head of year told us in assembly he had also been directed towards studying A Levels he had no desire for and ended up just passing. This resulted in him studying a degree in university he had no love for and he dropped out after 2 years. I don't want to be in that position where I'm stuck and have no back up plan as the future is changing. I strongly believe a student can only do great in A Levels if they enjoy or have interest in what they are learning. How can I persuade my mother? I don't want to upset her but I also want to do what I want to do.
Original post by H5gs8g
So I'm in year 12 - Sixth Form and doing Chem, Bio and Eng Lang. I absolutely hate Chem and Bio and have explained so in my other thread. My mother has said to me to see how these mock exams go and then she will consider if i can restart in college.I want to do Eng Lit, Lang and Sociology in College. HOWEVER, my mother is pushing me to do these A Levels even though i am failing and behind on lots of work. Even if i end up passing - I STILL want to do A Levels of my own choice. I want As not Es and Us and I know I can get those grades. But I don't know how I can persuade her. I know I want to study a degree in Law and I know I want to go to a Russel Group university but I don't know how I can persuade my mother when I have been trying so hard to, since - basically - a couple of months into year 12. Today my head of year told us in assembly he had also been directed towards studying A Levels he had no desire for and ended up just passing. This resulted in him studying a degree in university he had no love for and he dropped out after 2 years. I don't want to be in that position where I'm stuck and have no back up plan as the future is changing. I strongly believe a student can only do great in A Levels if they enjoy or have interest in what they are learning. How can I persuade my mother? I don't want to upset her but I also want to do what I want to do.

My advice would be to sit her down at the end of a long day (for both of you) and explain that you are really not doing well and hating the courses. Explain what your head of year said in the assembly and how you would dread the same thing happening to you. At the end of the day, they're your A Levels. I know lots of people will say to just tell her that it's your choice but that obviously isn't working as an argument. If you need help, maybe talk to your subject teachers or personal tutor and explain the situation. My parents were very understanding about me dropping 2 AS Levels (one before the exams started) and picking up a one year instead because of how much it was affecting my mental health, but I know that this isn't the case for everyone.
Original post by H5gs8g

Arrange to talk with your head of year. Tell them what you told us. They will advise you from there. They could suggest a meeting between all three of you where the school persuades your mother it's in your best future interests.

Also the school would want you to achieve great grades because it reflects better on them.

Best of luck.
Reply 3
Original post by H5gs8g

If you don't like biology or chemistry, then you should not take them. Your head teacher was right, and you shouldn't let it happen to you. You must tell your mum again that you cannot do biology and chemistry as you don't like the subjects in the first place.

I heard that this happened in the six form (which is part of my school) where there was a student who was basically in your position. He told the school of his situation and they called his parents for a meeting. During that meeting the teachers basically persuaded the parents and the end result was that the parents admitted that forcing their child to do subjects they hated was not beneficial for them.

Just Wondering, have you tried asking the school to intervene and support you?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by greghayes
My advice would be to sit her down at the end of a long day (for both of you) and explain that you are really not doing well and hating the courses. Explain what your head of year said in the assembly and how you would dread the same thing happening to you. At the end of the day, they're your A Levels. I know lots of people will say to just tell her that it's your choice but that obviously isn't working as an argument. If you need help, maybe talk to your subject teachers or personal tutor and explain the situation. My parents were very understanding about me dropping 2 AS Levels (one before the exams started) and picking up a one year instead because of how much it was affecting my mental health, but I know that this isn't the case for everyone.

I do feel extremely depressed at times and have explained this to her. However, despite this my mother still thinks that she can help me pass these exams - but I just can't. And I NEVER say I can't. I haven't told my tutor or subject teachers yet but I doubt they would be much help.
Reply 5
Original post by stoyfan
If you don't like biology or chemistry, then you should not take them. Your head teacher was right, and you shouldn't let it happen to you. You must tell your mum again that you cannot do biology and chemistry as you don't like the subjects in the first place.

I heard that this happened in the six form (which is part of my school) where there was a student who was basically in your position. He told the school of his situation and they called his parents for a meeting. During that meeting the teachers basically persuaded the parents and the end result was that the parents admitted that forcing their child to do subjects they hated was not beneficial for them.

Just Wondering, have you tried asking the school to intervene and support you?

My school would hate for me to drop out. My head of year has already told me that so I doubt they would be of any help. He would just say "retake the year" but in my sixth form you cannot retake A Levels you have previously taken. So I would not be allowed to study English Language. However I may ask my school to intervene and see what happens.
Reply 6
Original post by uberteknik
Arrange to talk with your head of year. Tell them what you told us. They will advise you from there. They could suggest a meeting between all three of you where the school persuades your mother it's in your best future interests.

Also the school would want you to achieve great grades because it reflects better on them.

Best of luck.

Other responses have also said that. I would not be able to retake at my sixth form though because I cannot retake A Levels I have previously done so Eng Language would not be an option again. However I will still consider this. Thank you.
Original post by H5gs8g
Other responses have also said that. I would not be able to retake at my sixth form though because I cannot retake A Levels I have previously done so Eng Language would not be an option again. However I will still consider this. Thank you.

OK so here's a life lesson.

Why do you want to study law?

If it's because you want to practice law, then you are going to need persuasive skills by the bucket and develop a tenacity for arguing and winning your corner.

If you really are serious about law, then don't take the first rebuttal you get from your school as definitive. Put you case together. Look at the problem from your mothers and the schools perspective and prepare arguments that overcomes their concerns.

You need to get some attitude and fight your case. Don't give up and roll over or you will never make it through law school.

You may as well start your career now.
Original post by greghayes

I agree
Reply 9
Original post by uberteknik
OK so here's a life lesson.

Why do you want to study law?

If it's because you want to practice law, then you are going to need persuasive skills by the bucket and develop a tenacity for arguing and winning your corner.

If you really are serious about law, then don't take the first rebuttal you get from your school as definitive. Put you case together. Look at the problem from your mothers and the schools perspective and prepare arguments that overcomes their concerns.

You need to get some attitude and fight your case. Don't give up and roll over or you will never make it through law school.

You may as well start your career now.

I never thought about it like that. I definitely need to change my mindset. Thank you for the encouragement

Quick Reply

Latest