The Student Room Group

Trig

How are people remembering trig identities I can't get them to stick any methods?
Original post by bluesclues44
How are people remembering trig identities I can't get them to stick any methods?

By practicing enough questions where you apply them.

My advice in maths, the only things you should remember are definitions... even then, you need to be able to apply them which takes practice.

Take it from someone who got 100 in C3 without any natural ability for maths, which is very trig heavy, when you get enough practice you'll be fine and you'll have trig identities coming out your ears... I call them cottan buds.
Reply 2
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
By practicing enough questions where you apply them.

My advice in maths, the only things you should remember are definitions... even then, you need to be able to apply them which takes practice.

Take it from someone who got 100 in C3 without any natural ability for maths, which is very trig heavy, when you get enough practice you'll be fine and you'll have trig identities coming out your ears... I call them cottan buds.

Thanks and well done that's impressive
Original post by bluesclues44

Just remember that sin2(x)+cos2(x)1\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x) \equiv 1
and then tan2(x)+1sec2(x)\tan^2(x)+1 \equiv \sec^2(x) and 1+cot2(x)csc2(x)1+\cot^2(x) \equiv \csc^2(x) fall out naturally - first is division by cos2(x)\cos^2(x) and the second is divison by sin2(x)\sin^2(x)

Of course, sin(x)cos(x)tan(x)\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} \equiv \tan(x) is the other you have to remember.

Compound angle formulae are in the booklet.
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
Just remember that sin2(x)+cos2(x)1\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x) \equiv 1
and then tan2(x)+1sec2(x)\tan^2(x)+1 \equiv \sec^2(x) and 1+cot2(x)csc2(x)1+\cot^2(x) \equiv \csc^2(x) fall out naturally - first is division by cos2(x)\cos^2(x) and the second is divison by sin2(x)\sin^2(x)

Of course, sin(x)cos(x)tan(x)\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)} \equiv \tan(x) is the other you have to remember.

Compound angle formulae are in the booklet.

Thanks that's really helpful
Reply 5
Almost as good as the one my friend told me "I think you really 1/cos(c)"

Quick Reply

Latest