The Student Room Group

Friend keeps wanting my food

So it's just me and my friend back in our flat, and she says she has no food and no money until payday, but she's very reckless with money, this has always seemed to be the case she'll get paid and blow it in within a few days and sort of sponge off of other people or says 'oh can i borrow some money, i'll transfer it to you when i get paid'.

I also gave her some money before easter so she could get back home and now money for her to get back here. Since she's been back I've fed her completely for the past three days, which sometimes I didn't mind. But other times it was her looking through my cupboard of my part of the fridge and go, oooh i really fancy '(thing i have in my fridge), can i have it?' and I don't want to be rude and say no, but even just today she's had my chips, pizza and curry and rice and is now asking for spring rolls! She keeps going 'i reallllllly want some spring rolls' and I just ignore it or laugh it off. But it's gotten to the point now where I'm running really low on food and don't want to go shopping and her take or ask for something and be like 'well you have loads of other food anyway'.

She's also taken quite a bit of food from our other flatmates as no one else is here and it's not even a little bit it's like bags of pasta and stuff. Her response when I say it's no exactly discrete is that she goes 'Oh I 'll just say it wasn't me and that I wasn't even here'. Basically leaving all the blame on me as all of my flatmates know I've stayed here pretty much all of easter.

And it's not even like she's one of my housemates I don't exactly like, she's one of my good friends and I'm living with her next year but it's like I can't exactly say no but it's really started to grate on me.

Any advice would be much appreciated my good peeps :s-smilie:

TLDR: my financially irresponsible friend keeps guilt tripping me into giving her my food and it's gotten to the point where I'm low on food and don't want to go shopping because of her. She's also taking the piss with taking our other flatmates food
Reply 1
You need to put your foot down and tell her to stop being a scav.
Just tell her, she isn't a very good friend to you clearly.
She'll carry on if you keep giving her food.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
She'll carry on if you keep giving her food.

But she'll either keep taking our other flatmates food which I'll get the blame for, complain about how I'm horrible and then she'll have no food. Like the the only things I have left are instant noodles and spring rolls, I really want to order a takeaway but she'll ask if I can get it for her too and she'll pay me back. She says this a lot and she knows I get the maximum student loan and goes, 'well it's not like you can't afford it' so idk what to say
Original post by ayelmao
But she'll either keep taking our other flatmates food which I'll get the blame for, complain about how I'm horrible and then she'll have no food. Like the the only things I have left are instant noodles and spring rolls, I really want to order a takeaway but she'll ask if I can get it for her too and she'll pay me back. She says this a lot and she knows I get the maximum student loan and goes, 'well it's not like you can't afford it' so idk what to say

How about 'No, you freeloading scrounger'?
Um you could do a few things -

-discuss it with your flatmates and then you all have a word with her.
-tell her you need to feed yourself as well so its not fair that she takes your food all the time.
-tell her she needs to stop blowing her money on stupid things so that she can afford food.

You've just got to be honest, I know she's your friend, but she is taking advantage of you so she's not really a good friend is she?

Quick Reply

Latest