Geog vs. Econ... help me choose!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ellie4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I got my AS results, and I've got 300/300 in Econ, and 240/300 in Geog (just scraping an A). I've been debating about which to do back and forth for a long time now, and had finally settled on Geog. I have a big passion for both subjects, possibly slightly more for Econ, BUT I like AS/A2 Econ, and I know it changes a lot at uni. I can do maths, but I don't especially like it, so I'd rather not do a subject with a lot of maths in it (though I do quite like stats). Sorry for the long and rather rambled message, but what do you think?
mg84
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ellie4)
I got my AS results, and I've got 300/300 in Econ, and 240/300 in Geog (just scraping an A). I've been debating about which to do back and forth for a long time now, and had finally settled on Geog. I have a big passion for both subjects, possibly slightly more for Econ, BUT I like AS/A2 Econ, and I know it changes a lot at uni. I can do maths, but I don't especially like it, so I'd rather not do a subject with a lot of maths in it (though I do quite like stats). Sorry for the long and rather rambled message, but what do you think?
How about joint honours in Economics & Geography?
Ellie4
Rep:
?
(Original post by mg84)
How about joint honours in Economics & Geography?
I have considered that, but I've heard bad things about joint honours courses, in that you have quite a bit more work, and sometimes timetabling can be dodgy.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Invisible)
I wouldn't let a few extra UMS marks deter you from doing geography at university, that's all I can advise. If you're considering doing Econ instead of Geo purely due to getting a higher UMS, I wouldn't advise it.

Sorry, that's all I can advise at the moment.
Thanks sweetums, I always appreciate your advice
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
AS Levels are really not *that* clear cut, the UMS can vary here and there and you know what it's like, as you said yourself, some surprising scores in the odd module and so on. I'd say they are good in distinguishing top end to middle end to bottom end but no way can 3 hours worth of exams "conclude your complete ability in that subject."

Don't let it put you off, if you like Geography better, then go for it, I'm sure you certainly have the capability to do either Geog or Econ at a top, top uni.
Whilst full marks is **Brilliant** - well done Ellie!, the other posters are right, don't just be seduced by marks.
You evidently have the ability to go for a top uni, but if you are not keen on the mathematical side of econometrics, then this will limit the Econ unis you should apply to. Have you thought of PPE at Oxford - as the developmental side of economics is quite similar to the Econ geog, and the Politics and Philosophy add a different dimension. You could then apply for top joint courses in Geog&Econ at places like UCL and LSE - which do have a very good rep!
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i had the same problem deciding - thats why im doing Econ & Geog @ UCL this september (got the grades )
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Quiksilver)
i had the same problem deciding - thats why im doing Econ & Geog @ UCL this september (got the grades )
Good choice (I did Geog at UCL!) - well done.!!!!!!!!!!!
I have one of my students coming up to do Geog at UCL next year too!
Amrad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Economics! If you prefer it then you probably will enjoy the course more over three years and be a stronger applicant if you have 300/300. I know UMS marks arent much to go by and in my experience are very iffy but there is quite a distinction between 240 and 300. You should also consider your career, as for some fields an Economics degree is more suitable.

You could apply for joint degrees at some and either Geog/Econ at others - available at LSE and UCL and Land Economy at Cambridge.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you should apply for either...at Cambridge

G
Dynamite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah i so have the same problem (my results at AS are in my sig) I really want to get into cambridge but am torn between econ and geog. My geog ums scores were:

Unit 1 - 96/100
Unit 2 - 78/100 (i completely missed out 1 question!! so i am retakin it)
Unit 3 - 99/100 ..CW

I am slightly goin towards geog as i aint doin econ or double maths, what do others think??
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dynamite)
Yeah i so have the same problem (my results at AS are in my sig) I really want to get into cambridge but am torn between econ and geog. My geog ums scores were:

Unit 1 - 96/100
Unit 2 - 78/100 (i completely missed out 1 question!! so i am retakin it)
Unit 3 - 99/100 ..CW

I am slightly goin towards geog as i aint doin econ or double maths, what do others think??
Well without Maths, Cam for Economics is fairly unlikely. You might find the odd college that doesn't want it, but most will want AS grade A and quite a few actually say not to bother applying to them unless you have done Maths and preferably Further Maths! This is quite a varied situation as the prospectus only recommends Maths... not very helpful. You might need to send a number of emails to admissions tutors at lots of colleges before finding one that would accept you. I know that most of the economists from Queens' for example are highly Maths oriented and they actively dissuade anyone without full A2 Maths from applying.
Geog is well worth applying to. St Catz is good and worth a look, so is Kings. Not sure about the others.
foowise
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ellie4 - first let me extend my congratulations on your maximum score for Economics. That really is quality, and makes my first time 267 (which I thought was good) look pretty paltry. Bloody well done!

Now, as for Economics or Geography; well, if you prefer Geography, I would suggest you follow your heart, and study Geography. True, as others have said, full marks is sensational, but you shouldn't base your choice on what you want to study for the next three years of your life based on AS results alone.

Also, you say you don't like maths, so this could hinder your application to the top cluster of Economics unis (you know the ones I'm talking about: Cam, Warwick, LSE, UCL etc), and, with all that talk of grade inflation, Maths and Further Maths A-Levels may be increasingly used as another step in the decision process.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you will excel at it; and congrats on the full marks again.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
(Original post by foowise)
Ellie4 - first let me extend my congratulations on your maximum score for Economics. That really is quality, and makes my first time 267 (which I thought was good) look pretty paltry. Bloody well done!

Now, as for Economics or Geography; well, if you prefer Geography, I would suggest you follow your heart, and study Geography. True, as others have said, full marks is sensational, but you shouldn't base your choice on what you want to study for the next three years of your life based on AS results alone.

Also, you say you don't like maths, so this could hinder your application to the top cluster of Economics unis (you know the ones I'm talking about: Cam, Warwick, LSE, UCL etc), and, with all that talk of grade inflation, Maths and Further Maths A-Levels may be increasingly used as another step in the decision process.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you will excel at it; and congrats on the full marks again.
That lovely, thanks I've been learning maths AS over the summer, and am quite confident I can get an A now, but as I say, I can do maths, but I don't like it. I've found this course that sounds really good though, what do people think? http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/prospect...ml?code=008939
Geogger
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That lovely, thanks I've been learning maths AS over the summer, and am quite confident I can get an A now, but as I say, I can do maths, but I don't like it. I've found this course that sounds really good though, what do people think? http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/prospect...ml?code=008939
Looks good but I think you might be a little over-qualified for it (looking at the grade expectations in it)with your results. Its certainly worth putting down as one of your 6 esp if you were going to apply for Geog at Ox/Cam Geog&Econ or Land Economy at Cam - the whole PS would fit together quite well.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
*Will put her thinking cap on and decide what she wants to do*
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Economics major, from the sounds of it you'll be enjoying it more And you scored beautifully in your AS modules. How's the maths going this summer? I'd go for a combined degree if I were you, less maths but a bit of each.
Ellie4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mysticmin)
Economics major, from the sounds of it you'll be enjoying it more And you scored beautifully in your AS modules. How's the maths going this summer? I'd go for a combined degree if I were you, less maths but a bit of each.
The matsh is going great, on course to get an A I'd say, though I do find it deadly boring, I can do it. Only thing with joint honours, is that people say it's harder to do well in, and it feels like you have more work than single honours people because you're expected to have a wider depth and breadth of knowledge combined than you would have doing single honours (that makes no sens, but I know what I'm trying to say!!)
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If I were you Ellie I would be wanting to go for Geography, because although your UMS isn't as high as the Economics UMS, it is what you wanted to do before your results, and what you have been planning for. A good way to see if you really could manage Economics as a degree is to write a PS for Economics, and if you're not meant to study it, the PS just doesn't come together. Furthermore, university economics is very competitive and (knowing many people at Nottingham) almost all universities have a preference for Maths at full A Level, and Nottingham actively scouts 'Oxbridge rejects', so it is very close to AAAa for most courses.

Also, and this is quite a *immoral* point, Geography is massively undersubscribed at Oxbridge compared to Economics- if Oxbridge is what you want, then Geography is definitely your best bet. A lot of the social and political aspects of economics do actually come up in Geog, so you wouldn't be abandoning it completely!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (18)
30.51%
No (41)
69.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed