jamie9481
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. But i need some advice about what I could do.

This year I started studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering, next year it's supposed to split into Electrical or Electronic routes. I want to do Electronic Engineering. There are 10 of us in first year at the moment. 3 of us want to do Electronics. We were told today that they are unsure whether they can offer that option to us next year because of money because it would only be a class of 3. If they don't offer it what do I do....

I'd go to another university, I don't want to but I will if I have to. However, I have spoken to several and they all say I need to meet the regular entry requirements and get 70% overall for first year. I went to University of York in 2015 for a foundation year in Electrical and Electronics, which I failed. I then choose Business at the local uni at home. After two weeks of business, I knew that I couldn't do it and I had to switch courses to Electrical and Electronics 'cause I love me some circuits. So I don't have A levels, I have a level 3 BTEC in IT grade: DM (Distinction Merit). Also the 70% grade for this year, I'll be close to that but I'm unsure whether that is achievable due to 2 bad assignments, and so far I have no official marks for anything this year so I can't work it out either.

I can't end my degree either because I can't afford to. Having to pay back loans instantly, I can't. But I also don't want to spend the next 2 years doing something that is similar to what I actually want to do. There was no mention of Electronics not being an option when I switched over. Is this even legal...not what I want to be thinking about 2 weeks before my exams.

Half wanting advice and half wanting to vent. Peace guys.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jamie9481)
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. But i need some advice about what I could do.

This year I started studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering, next year it's supposed to split into Electrical or Electronic routes. I want to do Electronic Engineering. There are 10 of us in first year at the moment. 3 of us want to do Electronics. We were told today that they are unsure whether they can offer that option to us next year because of money because it would only be a class of 3. If they don't offer it what do I do....

I'd go to another university, I don't want to but I will if I have to. However, I have spoken to several and they all say I need to meet the regular entry requirements and get 70% overall for first year. I went to University of York in 2015 for a foundation year in Electrical and Electronics, which I failed. I then choose Business at the local uni at home. After two weeks of business, I knew that I couldn't do it and I had to switch courses to Electrical and Electronics 'cause I love me some circuits. So I don't have A levels, I have a level 3 BTEC in IT grade: DM (Distinction Merit). Also the 70% grade for this year, I'll be close to that but I'm unsure whether that is achievable due to 2 bad assignments, and so far I have no official marks for anything this year so I can't work it out either.

I can't end my degree either because I can't afford to. Having to pay back loans instantly, I can't. But I also don't want to spend the next 2 years doing something that is similar to what I actually want to do. There was no mention of Electronics not being an option when I switched over. Is this even legal...not what I want to be thinking about 2 weeks before my exams.

Half wanting advice and half wanting to vent. Peace guys.

Finding someone else to take you
Cast your net wider. There seems to be some issue as to you meeting the criteria of the pre uni qualifications and then the level youd need for first year.

Whether the Uni can do this?
I expect if you read your student agreement it says something like courses will only be offered if there are sufficient students. I suggest you group with the other two students and push them. Maybe you can do other modules or join next year when they do have enough students? Make an official complaint, but I bet its just simple money and viability. I would complain that you wouldnt have joined in the first place if you had known and they should check beforehand before saying they can offer it. Push them as far as you can. If needed get them to assist in placing you at other unis.

Paying back Uni loans.
they do not become repayable immediately. It s just student debt so repayable on the same conditions and rates i.e £excess of £21k. 9%.

Focus on your exams for now because without the results you are going nowhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (392)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (301)
43.43%

Watched Threads