The Student Room Group

Should I contact my firm choice about my offer before results day?

I'm taking english literature, chemistry, and biology for A Level, and I've firmed my choices for an english degree at Exeter (AAA) and Southampton (ABB with A in EPQ).

I'm just not particularly confident that I'm not going to get an A in chemistry, and I'm worried that Exeter won't let me in for my english degree, which will be annoying since they're completely unrelated subjects! I've done an EPQ on the pastoral tradition in dystopian literature - so, very English-related, and I'm quite confident that it's good. I've been published on the 'English & Media Centre' (basically an academic magazine for A-level students), and I'm fairly confident that I can get As in English and biology (maybe even A* in one of them, but don't want to bank on it).

I'm just wondering if people think it'd be worth contacting Exeter and explaining my situation to them, and maybe send them a copy of my EPQ discussion and EMC article. I don't want to just sound really 'up myself', because that's not it at all. I'm just really keen and I don't want to miss out on something I'm really excited about just because of chemistry, and I don't want to wait until results day to try and explain this all to them. Thank you thank you thank you :smile:
Original post by beccaw789
I'm taking english literature, chemistry, and biology for A Level, and I've firmed my choices for an english degree at Exeter (AAA) and Southampton (ABB with A in EPQ).

I'm just not particularly confident that I'm not going to get an A in chemistry, and I'm worried that Exeter won't let me in for my english degree, which will be annoying since they're completely unrelated subjects! I've done an EPQ on the pastoral tradition in dystopian literature - so, very English-related, and I'm quite confident that it's good. I've been published on the 'English & Media Centre' (basically an academic magazine for A-level students), and I'm fairly confident that I can get As in English and biology (maybe even A* in one of them, but don't want to bank on it).

I'm just wondering if people think it'd be worth contacting Exeter and explaining my situation to them, and maybe send them a copy of my EPQ discussion and EMC article. I don't want to just sound really 'up myself', because that's not it at all. I'm just really keen and I don't want to miss out on something I'm really excited about just because of chemistry, and I don't want to wait until results day to try and explain this all to them. Thank you thank you thank you :smile:

Definitely try and stay in touch with them over the holidays! It can't do any harm and if you show you really want to study there (which you've already done by firming them) then they'll be more inclined to take you than a person who's got AAA+ and is in clearing.
At least that's how it works at university I applied to, which is on par with Exeter when it comes to rankings. :smile:
Did you mention the EPQ in your personal statement?
Reply 3
Original post by beccaw789

No, don't tell them. They won't know yet if they can accept you with a lower offer - and they will just think that if you know you won't get the required grades that you should spend the time studying rather than begging for leniency

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending