Biological Sex is a Social Construct.

Watch
username3099438
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Edit: For idiots like 0to100 I don't hold this belief.

So I see a lot of feminists (not radical feminists) saying that biological sex is a social construct. I asked one of my favourite tumblr accounts (intersectional) why they thought that and I recieved this response:

So Biological sex is actually a social construct because the idea is “XY = Male and XX= Female! End of conversation.” Right? But see, the problem here is that there are Men Born As Men that have the XX gene and Women Born As Women that have the XY gene. I’m talking about fully here too, with everything. XX men that have fully working reproductive systems from birth and are men and often never know they have XX instead of XY. There are also XY women who are women when they are born, and grow up as women and looking 100% like women.

So, if the idea of XY = men and XX = women is true. Then these XX men who ARE MEN and always have been, are now considered women. These XY women, who have grown up as women, and look like women and have vaginas and everything would thus be called and considered Men. But, that can’t be right can it? Because they have everything in their reproductive system that labels them as what one could call the gender that they appear on the outside – be that male of female.

BUT it gets even more complicated then that. As XY women – who are often caused by something called Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome or AIS – have a reproductive system that (again if we are going by this model that XX = female and XY = male and what you have down below counts for sex end of conversation) that brings up a million questions!
(Excuse me while I get very biological here) So a genetic XY female with AIS has Gonads that are Testes (the male version), no internal reproductive tract, a Urethral Primordia that is female (the lower part of the Internal Reproductive Tract) and external genitalia that are female. They grow up looking female by society’s standards and all that. However, they have a “male” reproductive system in there, the Testes and they have the XY genetic type. Do they count as male or female then? If you go by the XY = male and XX = female, then the women is now a man. However, if you go by their internal reproductive systems, they’re … both? How do you label them? To them, they’ve grown up as a woman and consider themselves as such (at least my fictional XY AIS female here does) who is anyone to tell them that they are actually a guy because of some arbitrary idea that XY HAS to mean you’re a male?

I could give more examples, (as there are many more genetic types that can be used as examples, not just XY females and XX males) but hopefully this explains it well enough? O.O

TLR: There are men born as men who have XX genes and women born as women who have XY genes, and telling them that because of their genetics their entire life is somehow a lie is completely wrong. It’s society that believes this idea of “XY = male and XX = female no matter what.” And it’s society that has made this idea. If you look at genetics, it’s just not true.

So i'm just a bit like whatttttt... am I a bad feminist or something?
What do you guys think about this? Please no antifeminists or close minded terfs. And like actually read what they said. I just don't wanna be brainwashed or anything lol. Is this just a load of bs or what.
Jirga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
stfu
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jirga)
stfu
Did you even read it.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There are only two sexes. Male and female. That is biological fact that cannot be denied. Gender is a social construct however.
Jirga
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
>i asked one of my favourite tumblr accounts (intersectional)

:rofl:
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by Conceited)
Gender is a social construct however.
I'm actually not taking anyone seriously if they say otherwise.
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobBobson)
*******s dont count as people
Wow, feel like i'm going to get a lot of hate for a view I'm currently neutral on.
Jirga
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
There are only two sexes. Male and female. That is biological fact that cannot be denied. Gender is a social construct however.
Gender and sex are the same
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by feministy)
Wow, feel like i'm going to get a lot of hate for a view I'm currently neutral on.
What did I say that was hating on you?
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jirga)
Gender and sex are the same
Yeah, no transphobes.
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by BobBobson)
What did I say that was hating on you?
nuffing
Rhythmical
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your username reflects your posts.
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is tumblr remember...
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhythmical)
Your username reflects your posts.
Thanks babes xx
Jirga
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by feministy)
Yeah, no transphobes.
What's transphobic?
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by uws)
this is tumblr remember...
Im so confused
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Stopped reading at 'tumblr'.
Hayyz91
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
if it wasn't so hugely rare then they may have a point but these are exceptions to the rule.
The y chromosome should trigger embryonic development as a male in the womb.
imagine one day you try to start your car and it doesn't actually start. Turning the key in the ignition should start the engine, like the y chromasome being present should make the fetus male.
If the car doesn't start do you assume that engines are a social construct or that there is an issue with the car?
the examples given are classified as diseases... meaning they are not what the body should be.
i mean no spite to those with these biological deformities but this doesn't prove this point.
I don't mind if people define themselves as whatever they feel but come on...
username3099438
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hayyz91)
if it wasn't so hugely rare then they may have a point but these are exceptions to the rule.
The y chromosome should trigger embryonic development as a male in the womb.
imagine one day you try to start your car and it doesn't actually start. Turning the key in the ignition should start the engine, like the y chromasome being present should make the fetus male.
If the car doesn't start do you assume that engines are a social construct or that there is an issue with the car?
the examples given are classified as diseases... meaning they are not what the body should be.
i mean no spite to those with these biological deformities but this doesn't prove this point.
I don't mind if people define themselves as whatever they feel but come on...
Cool, thanks.
username1333513
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the idea of labeling people according to the genitals they have is stupid imo, that's all I have to say
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed