The Student Room Group

University fee increases pushed through

However they will be able to push up the already over-inflated fees "in line with inflation" without improving the quality.

Get ready for even more debt because this will be abused by all universities.

Scroll to see replies

Next step now is just to remove the cap altogether

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well thank :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: I'll be a graduate by then!
Ugh no, this is gonna turn out like the universities in the US - crippling debt for the next 30 years of your life, thinking whether college is even worth it, and so on, just because of the expenses.
Reply 4
Original post by JamestheGreat
Ugh no, this is gonna turn out like the universities in the US - crippling debt for the next 30 years of your life, thinking whether college is even worth it, and so on, just because of the expenses.

It isn't crippling debt, it is just an added tax on the young.
Reply 5
Reply 6
I don't really see an issue with this. It'll just add a slightly larger drip feed into the education coffers.

I mean after all, everyone's going to university because they want to get a decent job and earn enough money that they'll actually have to pay it back, right?

No one's just going so they can go on the lash for 3 years on free money, right?
Reply 7
Original post by Tubbz
I don't really see an issue with this. It'll just add a slightly larger drip feed into the education coffers.

I mean after all, everyone's going to university because they want to get a decent job and earn enough money that they'll actually have to pay it back, right?

No one's just going so they can go on the lash for 3 years on free money, right?

Most people won't even pay it all back.

When you are earning the minimum £21k your contributions don't even cover the interest.
Reply 8
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Yeah but what if they change that.

They haven't proposed to change that.
Still don't understand why people are worried about this. Chances are you won't pay it all back and you will only pay back once you're earning over 21k. Chances are if you're earning over 21k, you will be in a good job so why worry?
so if i'm in my first year of uni now, will this affect me?
Original post by Gingerlamps1335
so if i'm in my first year of uni now, will this affect me?

Yes it could do, for your third year perhaps.
Are they going to increase for it for internationals too? Because I'm already supposed to have £30k per year to even get a visa :afraid:
Reply 13
Original post by StrawbAri
Are they going to increase for it for internationals too? Because I'm already supposed to have £30k per year to even get a visa :afraid:

Probably not, they already milk you guys. :moo:
Reply 14
Original post by longsightdon
Still don't understand why people are worried about this. Chances are you won't pay it all back and you will only pay back once you're earning over 21k. Chances are if you're earning over 21k, you will be in a good job so why worry?

The main issue is that while fees are rising with inflation, the repayment thresholds are not. Meaning the government now gets more money from graduates than they're spending on universities. £21k will not be a good salary in 5-10 years time.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Yeah but what if they change that.

Yeah but saying that they can change things is irrelevant anyway. Do you know that governments can set taxes retrospectively? that means they can decide for example that the tax rate for the years of 2010 onward should have been 80% then back date taxes that far and forcibly confiscate your assets?

have you ever really thought about property and what you own? I mean you never really own anything. lets say you own your property for example well often it will be leasehold not freehold so you don't really own it your just have a tenancy which has many years paid in advance. However if you do own the freehold guess what you don't actually own that land the Queen does you just have the rights to use it which can be taken away at any point.

You live on land that is not yours, that you really have no legal ownership over, your wealth can be seized at any point and you need official permission to renounce your citizenship which can be declined meaning the government of this country or the royal family can keep their claim on you for life regardless of your wishes. Now if you can get permission to renounce your citizenship you will only be owned by another state as what are you going to do live in the ocean?

The state can conscript you and force you to fight kill and die at their whim.

We are not free we are the property of others who can change anything at any point send us of to war and or seize all our assets at a whim.

they can change everything.
your statement is not profound.
Reply 16
Original post by Luke7456
However if you do own the freehold guess what you don't actually own that land the Queen does you just have the rights to use it which can be taken away at any point.

She doesn't and she can't.

It is true that the Royal portfolio is pretty huge but it does not encompass the entirety of the UK.

With a freehold, you are the legal owner of the land. There are a few legal ways that this land can be taken without your consent, but the Queen taking :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: isn't one of them.
Original post by Meany Pie
Probably not, they already milk you guys. :moo:

Thank goodness.

But yes,
I am a cash cow to the UK educational system :sad:
Reply 18
Original post by StrawbAri
Thank goodness.

But yes,
I am a cash cow to the UK educational system :sad:

Don't be sad, we like your money :scrooge:
Original post by Meany Pie
She doesn't and she can't.

It is true that the Royal portfolio is pretty huge but it does not encompass the entirety of the UK.

With a freehold, you are the legal owner of the land. There are a few legal ways that this land can be taken without your consent, but the Queen taking :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: isn't one of them.

technically you own the right to the land or the title but not actual ownership. The monarchs power may be more symbolic now, but the government could in theory take your property away from you.

this guy explains it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2hyLO7LtHE

you own the title you dont own the land land you simply hold it.

Quick Reply

Latest