ancient civilizations influence on today mathematics curriculum

Watch
kirsty290994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Im doing a assignment on how ancient civilizations have influenced the mathematics in the curriculum and its asking for key concepts? so confused by what key concepts its referring to?
AHappyStudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kirsty290994)
Im doing a assignment on how ancient civilizations have influenced the mathematics in the curriculum and its asking for key concepts? so confused by what key concepts its referring to?
Perhaps it means concepts in mathematics such as coordinate geometry, calculus and stuff?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Greece would be the obvious place to start, with Pythagoras, Thales, Euclid, Archimedes, and the list goes on. As above, "key concepts" probably means themes, such as number theory, geometry, etc.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Greeks made major contributions to geometry and some number theory. They barely used any notion of coordinates and by modern standards were poor at algebra and had no calculus. You might want to look into the method of exhaustion to see how they calculated areas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed