The Student Room Group

HELP Projectiles M1

So the answer I get is different from the answer from the markscheme so I just need someone to see if I went wrong or the markscheme is wrong:

"Karen is standing 4 m away from a wall which is 2.5 m high. She throws a ball at 10m/s at an angle of 40(degrees) to the horizontal from a height of 1 m above the ground. Will the ball pass over the wall?"

So first I drew a diagram and resolved in the vertical motion:
s = ? (what we're trying to find)
u = 10sin40
a= -9.8
v = 0 (at maximum height)
using v^2 = u^2 + 2as gives s to be 2.108 m.

If we add on the 1m from the ground below as the question stated gives 2.108 + 1m = 3.1 m - this should be the maximum height right?? Which is way over the height of wall (which is 2.5m as question says) so the answer would be Yes it clears the wall.

The markscheme does say it clears the wall - however it says the height = 3.02 m ?? this is the bit thats confusing me as I have no idea where this value came from, am I missing something?
The height at the wall is what matters, not the maximum height. You have the horizontal speed, so calculate the time at which the ball is level with the wall, then calculate its vertical height at that time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MrToodles4
So the answer I get is different from the answer from the markscheme so I just need someone to see if I went wrong or the markscheme is wrong:

"Karen is standing 4 m away from a wall which is 2.5 m high. She throws a ball at 10m/s at an angle of 40(degrees) to the horizontal from a height of 1 m above the ground. Will the ball pass over the wall?"

So first I drew a diagram and resolved in the vertical motion:
s = ? (what we're trying to find)
u = 10sin40
a= -9.8
v = 0 (at maximum height)
using v^2 = u^2 + 2as gives s to be 2.108 m.

If we add on the 1m from the ground below as the question stated gives 2.108 + 1m = 3.1 m - this should be the maximum height right?? Which is way over the height of wall (which is 2.5m as question says) so the answer would be Yes it clears the wall.

The markscheme does say it clears the wall - however it says the height = 3.02 m ?? this is the bit thats confusing me as I have no idea where this value came from, am I missing something?

You seem to be assuming that the ball achieves its maximum height at the 4m mark (where the wall is), but there's nothing in what you've posted that supports that assumption.
Reply 3
Original post by ghostwalker
You seem to be assuming that the ball achieves its maximum height at the 4m mark (where the wall is), but there's nothing in what you've posted that supports that assumption.

OHH so you mean i should find the maximum height that can be reached when the ball is just going over the wall basically. So I find the time taken to reach the wall (horizontal) and then use that time in the vertical motion to find the max height at that time? I've got the right answer now. Thank you. I would give you another positive rating but it doesn't let me sorry
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by RogerOxon
The height at the wall is what matters, not the maximum height. You have the horizontal speed, so calculate the time at which the ball is level with the wall, then calculate its vertical height at that time.

Makes perfect sense thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest