The Student Room Group

New Zealand in July

I'm off to New Zealand after A-Levels for a month to see family any suggestions for places to visit in spare time? Kinda excited but need to narrow down my list of things to do. I'm gonna be on my own as well so any tips for places to meet people would be good too :smile:
Original post by bluesclues44
I'm off to New Zealand after A-Levels for a month to see family any suggestions for places to visit in spare time? Kinda excited but need to narrow down my list of things to do. I'm gonna be on my own as well so any tips for places to meet people would be good too :smile:

Whereabouts are you going in New Zealand and what are you interested in? The South Island has some really lovely scenery and hiking opportunities (plus super cute penguins!), and in the North Island there are slightly more city/ cultural things to do. Cheap bus passes are available to get around to different cities :smile:

Bear in mind that in July the weather will probably be quite cold and miserable, although perhaps you could go skiing!

Franz Josef glacier. If you can then try and do some hiking in the Fiordlands. I used to work there and its somewhat special. Lake Tek'apo and Otago.
Wellington is nice and I recommend getting the bus as you'll pass through a desert.
I lived there for a year doing various jobs and I even helped to rebuild Christchurch
Reply 3
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Whereabouts are you going in New Zealand and what are you interested in? The South Island has some really lovely scenery and hiking opportunities (plus super cute penguins!), and in the North Island there are slightly more city/ cultural things to do. Cheap bus passes are available to get around to different cities :smile:

Bear in mind that in July the weather will probably be quite cold and miserable, although perhaps you could go skiing!

Definitely stopping in Auckland and around the north island. Is the weather similar to British winter there?
Reply 4
Original post by cuelessguy
Franz Josef glacier. If you can then try and do some hiking in the Fiordlands. I used to work there and its somewhat special. Lake Tek'apo and Otago.
Wellington is nice and I recommend getting the bus as you'll pass t I'm hrough a desert.
I lived there for a year doing various jobs and I even helped to rebuild Christchurch

Okay thanks. That's pretty cool. Where did you stay in Wellington?
Definitely stopping in Auckland and around the north island. Is the weather similar to British winter there?

We went in the summer so not too sure, but their summer was certainly similar to our summer and I'd expect the winters to be similar too, perhaps a bit colder in mountainous areas/ in the south. I'm sure there must be info on the average temperatures/ rainfall etc. online :smile:
Okay thanks. That's pretty cool. Where did you stay in Wellington?

It was just a hostel which I think was the former GPO. The company that runs it is part of a chain called X base I think
Reply 7
July is not the best weather you could go sight seeing or hiking or hit the beach anything related to nature in fact
100% go South Island over North if you have limited time. Hobbiton is always worth a look! In the south there is Mt. Cook/Aoraki which is stunning and :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ord Sound. Check out Queenstown if you like to party!
Reply 9
North island: Paihia, Cape Reinga, Auckland (1-2 days at the most), New Plymouth, Mt Taranaki, mt Maunganui, Tongariro crossing, Taupo, Hobbiton, Rotorua, Wellington (lots of cool bars), cape Pallisar.

South island: Pretty much everywhere on the west coast, Nelson lakes, Franz Josef/ fox glacier, Wanaka, Queenstown, Dunedin, Fjordland, :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ord/doubtful sound, Lake tekapo, mt cook, Arthur's pass, Christchurch (I didn't like it here but nice to say you've been), Te Anau, Kaikoura.

Probably missed lots but those are the ones I remember from the top of my head.
I recommend picking only one island if you're only there for a month.
Censoring a place nice? Good on you tsr... M1lford sound.

Quick Reply

Latest