Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Finally in the UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I've started my full year of study in London. I thought I'd share my experiences with you all. 1)I have the worst trouble remembering which way to look when crossing the street. The first day I only crossed when someone else was going the same direction with me.

2)I'm a little dissapointed that my school is composed of U.S. students only as well as my flats. I don't know where to meet good British people besides a club, and clubbing isn't much fun to me.

3)The guy driving the bus to the flats for my study abroad program had issues. Before helping me load my luggage, he invaded my personal space to squeeze my bony arm and make fun of it. Then he asked if I was Venus Williams. I was shocked, I look nothing like her. In fact Venus looks scary to me. I just happen to be black and wearing all white.

4)Everyone looks at me funny when I talk and ask where my accent's from.

5) When I stood outside of my flat for a while just to take in the scenery, a guy passing by thought I was a prostitute. :eek:

6) I'm still very exited and happy to be here though.

So that's what I've got so far.

ReputationRep:
    5) When I stood outside of my flat for a while just to take in the scenery, a guy passing by thought I was a prostitute.
    You gotta love London! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Ok so I've started my full year of study in London. I thought I'd share my experiences with you all. 1)I have the worst trouble remembering which way to look when crossing the street. The first day I only crossed when someone else was going the same direction with me.

2)I'm a little dissapointed that my school is composed of U.S. students only as well as my flats. I don't know where to meet good British people besides a club, and clubbing isn't much fun to me.

3)The guy driving the bus to the flats for my study abroad program had issues. Before helping me load my luggage, he invaded my personal space to squeeze my bony arm and make fun of it. Then he asked if I was Venus Williams. I was shocked, I look nothing like her. In fact Venus looks scary to me. I just happen to be black and wearing all white.

4)Everyone looks at me funny when I talk and ask where my accent's from.

5) When I stood outside of my flat for a while just to take in the scenery, a guy passing by thought I was a prostitute. :eek:

6) I'm still very exited and happy to be here though.

So that's what I've got so far.
    lol good old london.

where abouts in london you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol good old london.

where abouts in london you at?
    Um I didn't know that london had sub-divisions :confused: Anyway I'm on Harrowby Street.

ReputationRep:
    More things I've noticed today:

1) You people put "r"s on the end of words without the intention of actually pronouncing them. i.e. Paper

2) During orientation the London police tried to scare us to death with a speech about theives. They said Americans "look and smell to clean to be confused with Britons."

haha in America all the youth is tooled up, especially if you go to tampa, the butt of a handgun is clearly visible in their pockets or whatever

ReputationRep:
    Um I didn't know that london had sub-divisions :confused: Anyway I'm on Harrowby Street.
    ahhh....thats in central i think. its quite near where i am.

More things I've noticed today:

1) You people put "r"s on the end of words without the intention of actually pronouncing them. i.e. Paper

what do you mean? confused: without the r it'd just pronounce...papee..??

2) During orientation the London police tried to scare us to death with a speech about theives. They said Americans "look and smell to clean to be confused with Britons."
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ahhh....thats in central i think. its quite near where i am.

:confused:

Erm... I mean it sounds like you're saying pay-pah

BTW this means that I could've walked by you today and not known it. :rolleyes: I never had to think about that in America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa777)
    haha in America all the youth is tooled up, especially if you go to tampa, the butt of a handgun is clearly visible in their pockets or whatever
    Right. I found out today that it's illegal to even have mace in your purse in London.

ReputationRep:
    I love London

ReputationRep:
    Erm... I mean it sounds like you're saying pay-pah

BTW this means that I could've walked by you today and not known it. :rolleyes: I never had to think about that in America.
    lol ahhh.....

no, i'm not there yet! i'm gonna be there this september..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I love London

yeah, i can see that from your avatar!

ReputationRep:
    Right. I found out today that it's illegal to even have mace in your purse in London.
    LOL to even have mace in your purse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    LOL to even have mace in your purse.
    lol tahts wxactly what i was thinkin! looks like you'll have to stick with just knives! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i can see that from your avatar!

I was forced to use this avatar on UKL

ReputationRep:
    no you werent. you wanted to use it, you lovin it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, yeh Ken. We all know the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Yeh, yeh Ken. We all know the truth.
    lol, yeah gradule brainwash....
    hoping we'll eventually accpet it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeah gradule brainwash....
    hoping we'll eventually accpet it :rolleyes:
    Goodness me! What's happened to your spelling? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Goodness me! What's happened to your spelling? :eek:
    lol nothing, it was always crap.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.