Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol nothing, it was always crap.
    Ah. I just never noticed before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Ah. I just never noticed before.
    yes you did, look at teh really old threads i made... you always pick on my spellin when i first joined...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    LOL to even have mace in your purse.
    Mace is something girls and women who often have to walk alone keep in their purse in the U.S. So, no, it's not as bad as a knife or a gun to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    More things I've noticed today:

1) You people put "r"s on the end of words without the intention of actually pronouncing them. i.e. Paper
    Yes - that's called a non-rhotic r and it's one of the key differences between American and British English. Americans pronounce r's wherever they are in a word, Brits don't always, though some dialects do more than others (e.g. West country, or Ireland, though heaven forbid you should call them British ). The r does have an effect, as it makes you pronounce the second syllable (otherwise it'd just be "pape"), we just don't roll it every time. I remember once I was talking to some Americans and said something about a bear. They didn't understand what I was talking about until I spelled it, and then they were like "oh, a bearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yes - that's called a non-rhotic r and it's one of the key differences between American and British English. Americans pronounce r's wherever they are in a word, Brits don't always, though some dialects do more than others (e.g. West country, or Ireland, though heaven forbid you should call them British ). The r does have an effect, as it makes you pronounce the second syllable (otherwise it'd just be "pape"), we just don't roll it every time. I remember once I was talking to some Americans and said something about a bear. They didn't understand what I was talking about until I spelled it, and then they were like "oh, a bearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"
    Well that clears up everything for me Very funny about the bear. I felt like a moron yesterday when a cashier asked me for 2 pence and I thought she was asking me for 2 pins. It took her five minutes to finally give up and say nevermind

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.