My parents own their own business, do their dividens count on my student finance?

Watch
Sillylilly999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
So my parents own their and they with this business have dividends. Do these dividends count toward my student finance or is it just personal ones that count?

Thank you in advance.
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sillylilly999)
Hi,
So my parents own their and they with this business have dividends. Do these dividends count toward my student finance or is it just personal ones that count?

Thank you in advance.
You declare dividends in the "income from savings and investments section". I believe it's something like total income from dividends and investments (coming either from UK or abroad, they're both declared).
Your parents will find this section when they have to fill in the assessment of their financial circumstances. I don't believe they can do it through HMRC.
Sillylilly999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My issue with it is, however is that the dividends for personal things like from investments, or are businesses included in this?
Rabadon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Had this same question last year, yep they count.
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My issue with it is, however is that the dividends for personal things like from investments, or are businesses included in this?
They're included.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thank you in advance.
As above, all included. Your parents will have submitted tax returns to HMRC - what they put on your SF application needs to match the overall taxable income they declared to HMRC. The two will be cross-checked.
Chris SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Thank you in advance.
Hi,

Just to reiterate the advice you've had from others above. We do require these dividends to be declared when parents are supporting your application.

Essentially, any taxable income your parents had in 2015/16 must be included.

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (16)
6.06%
Uncertainty around my education (30)
11.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (31)
11.74%
Lack of purpose or motivation (39)
14.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (15)
5.68%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (10)
3.79%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (25)
9.47%
Financial worries (17)
6.44%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (9)
3.41%
Exposure to negative news/social media (17)
6.44%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (31)
11.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (18)
6.82%

Watched Threads