The Student Room Group

Sixth year subjects

So I've chosen my subjects for sixth year which is like a month away but I'm starting to freak out a little due to subject choice

Advanced geography
Advanced biology
Crash higher chemistry
Higher maths

Is this too much for sixth year? An I going to die?
Nope, should cope fine. Im going with four advanced highers, most people in my school are doing three advanced highers, if you study well and manage your time which is KEY you could easily cope with the pressure. Crash higher chemistry shouldn't be too difficult as i would visit things from N5 like balancing equations and molar ratios from national 5 as if you don't understand those, life could be difficult as unit 3 is pure calculations where 90% of them require you to do those. Other than that its simply straight forward with very little memory work more of understanding questions.

Advanced Physics
Advanced Biology
Advanced Chemistry
Advanced Maths
WOW! You both sound so clever!
I'm taking
Crash Higher Modern Studies
N5 Geography
Higher German
Higher History
I'm also getting electives - finance, cookery, computer coding, drama and photography

(this year I've done H Art, H Business Studies, H Graphic Communication, H English and N5 History)

I am not keen on science or maths at all!!
Original post by Medic DUX
Nope, should cope fine. Im going with four advanced highers, most people in my school are doing three advanced highers, if you study well and manage your time which is KEY you could easily cope with the pressure. Crash higher chemistry shouldn't be too difficult as i would visit things from N5 like balancing equations and molar ratios from national 5 as if you don't understand those, life could be difficult as unit 3 is pure calculations where 90% of them require you to do those. Other than that its simply straight forward with very little memory work more of understanding questions.

Advanced Physics
Advanced Biology
Advanced Chemistry
Advanced Maths

You sure you wanna study 4 ? You don't need maths or physics to study medicine. So I'd probably drop one of them if I were you but if you feel as if you can handle it and will put the effort in then go for it I guess but even your condition won't ask for all 4 of them, might only ask for 2 of them. Also keep in mind that the project for physics, chemistry and biology will consume a lot of your time so you'd also have to be on top of that. Good luck with getting those 5A's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
You sure you wanna study 4 ? You don't need maths or physics to study medicine. So I'd probably drop one of them if I were you but if you feel as if you can handle it and will put the effort in then go for it I guess but even your condition won't ask for all 4 of them, might only ask for 2 of them. Also keep in mind that the project for physics, chemistry and biology will consume a lot of your time so you'd also have to be on top of that. Good luck with getting those 5A's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man
Original post by 06MacDonaldA5
WOW! You both sound so clever!
I'm taking
Crash Higher Modern Studies
N5 Geography
Higher German
Higher History
I'm also getting electives - finance, cookery, computer coding, drama and photography

(this year I've done H Art, H Business Studies, H Graphic Communication, H English and N5 History)

I am not keen on science or maths at all!!

Those are good subject choices, we all have our intrests, good diversity for you to decide what you wish to do next if your not sure, i guess it gives you a wider path to pick from :wink:
It's pretty doable as long as you focus from the start of the year but to be honest I ended up dropping all my advanced highers because I didn't even need it for university lmao
Original post by Fermion.
It's pretty doable as long as you focus from the start of the year but to be honest I ended up dropping all my advanced highers because I didn't even need it for university lmao

Same I have been ridiculously lazy this year and slacked off after getting my unconditional. I was studying two advanced highers but ended up dropping one of them because I didn't need it. I would say at the very minimum I was capable of getting BB In both of them but due to the lack of effort I'm now at C standard level for just the one I'm still doing. Oh well that's what happens lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same I have been ridiculously lazy this year and slacked off after getting my unconditional. I was studying two advanced highers but ended up dropping one of them because I didn't need it. I would say at the very minimum I was capable of getting BB In both of them but due to the lack of effort I'm now at C standard level for just the one I'm still doing. Oh well that's what happens lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know tell me about it I thought I could stay dedicated and focused throughout the year but I just couldnt be bothered and I'd rather just meet my offer. Kudos to the people who can actually do it though, but I'm just lazy af
I know tell me about it I thought I could stay dedicated and focused throughout the year but I just couldnt be bothered and I'd rather just meet my offer. Kudos to the people who can actually do it though, but I'm just lazy af

I've been binge watching a lot of TV shows. Would 10/10 recommend Homeland btw. Aye al put the effort in at uni. Watch me come back to this post 9 months later having repeated the process wondering what I've been doing with my life haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been binge watching a lot of TV shows. Would 10/10 recommend Homeland btw. Aye al put the effort in at uni. Watch me come back to this post 9 months later having repeated the process wondering what I've been doing with my life haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

whats homeland about? ive been watching prison break, absolutely love it. gonna need plenty of tv shows to keep me occupied this summer hehe

same knowing me i wont do anything in year one and work my ass off towards the end as usual.. lol
whats homeland about? ive been watching prison break, absolutely love it. gonna need plenty of tv shows to keep me occupied this summer hehe

same knowing me i wont do anything in year one and work my ass off towards the end as usual.. lol

Homeland is about a Bipolar CIA operations officer hunting down terrorists and in general preventing threats to the US. It's a crime/mystery. If you're into that sort of thing you'll really enjoy it. Barack Obama stated that it is his favourite tv show. It's also quite thought provoking so will definitely need to follow it and understand it well. Also I've seen all 4 seasons of prison break, season 1 was unreal, it was too good. 2 episodes into the new sequel mini series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm now getting a list of future TV series to watch hahaha. I've been into big little lies, pretty little liars, I'm on prison break s01,e2, 13 reasons why, riverdale and little boy blue. Check them out!
Homeland is about a Bipolar CIA operations officer hunting down terrorists and in general preventing threats to the US. It's a crime/mystery. If you're into that sort of thing you'll really enjoy it. Barack Obama stated that it is his favourite tv show. It's also quite thought provoking so will definitely need to follow it and understand it well. Also I've seen all 4 seasons of prison break, season 1 was unreal, it was too good. 2 episodes into the new sequel mini series.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 06MacDonaldA5
I'm now getting a list of future TV series to watch hahaha. I've been into big little lies, pretty little liars, I'm on prison break s01,e2, 13 reasons why, riverdale and little boy blue. Check them out!

Will defo check homeland out!! haha riverdale is amazing, i just love betty's character! im not into fantasy much but im loving teen wolf too, shame its gonna finish as its the last season. cant wait to sit down after my last exam and watch everything on netflix hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice, whats the unconditional for and which university?
Original post by Visualsuburbia
So I've chosen my subjects for sixth year which is like a month away but I'm starting to freak out a little due to subject choice

Advanced geography
Advanced biology
Crash higher chemistry
Higher maths

Is this too much for sixth year? An I going to die?

i think it wont be so much you will die, but it will be work but loads of people are taking two advanced highers and two highers
im taking
-advanced english
-advanced modern studies
-crash higher politics
-crash higher psychology
All I'm saying is I'm glad I'm not you haha, I could never manage 2 AH and 2 crash H in the same year but stay determined and you will do well!
Original post by tessglasgow
i think it wont be so much you will die, but it will be work but loads of people are taking two advanced highers and two highers
im taking
-advanced english
-advanced modern studies
-crash higher politics
-crash higher psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending