adam_2198
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am doing a foundation year and am going to progress on to the first year of my course. I applied student finance last year and was given a certain amount for maintenance
however this year my dads income has lowered by a lot and i want to get more money for my maintenance loan.
I sent SLC a letter asking for more money but they sent me a letter giving me the same amount of money as last year.
What should i do and how do i change my financial assessment
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by adam_2198)
I am doing a foundation year and am going to progress on to the first year of my course. I applied student finance last year and was given a certain amount for maintenance
however this year my dads income has lowered by a lot and i want to get more money for my maintenance loan.
I sent SLC a letter asking for more money but they sent me a letter giving me the same amount of money as last year.
What should i do and how do i change my financial assessment
If your household income has dropped by 15%+ then you can fill in a form and use your dad's P60 from the just gone financial year (16-17)
adam_2198
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by CTLevers)
If your household income has dropped by 15%+ then you can fill in a form and use your dad's P60 from the just gone financial year (16-17)
cheers for the reply.
can u tell me which form u r on about or send the link for the form please
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
cheers for the reply.
It''s a current year assessment form, which I believe is known as a CY1 form. Not sure if you can get that online though.
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
cheers for the reply.
CTLevers gave you the wrong advice(and strangely got 2 rep for doing so) a current year income form would take the 17/18 tax year income estimates which started from April 2017. Both parents who are supporting you would first need to submit their 15/16 income and then send in a CYI form.

In April 2018 your parents would be contacted to ask for their actual income and they would have to complete a PR2 form, if your parents estimated wrong then it would put you into overpayments.

Any questions just let me know.

Link for the form : http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1718/ft/s...orm_1718_d.pdf
CTLeafez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by murpo)
CTLevers gave you the wrong advice
I admittedly got the dates for the assessed financial year wrong but my advice is correct otherwise.

"If your household income is expected to drop by 15% or more, you can ask for income details for the current tax year to be assessed instead. To do this, download and fill in a ‘CYI - current tax year income form’."

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student...usehold-income
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I admittedly got the dates for the assessed financial year wrong but my advice is correct otherwise.

"If your household income is expected to drop by 15% or more, you can ask for income details for the current tax year to be assessed instead. To do this, download and fill in a ‘CYI - current tax year income form’."

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student...usehold-income
The only part you got correct was the 15% drop so your advice was not correct at all - very misleading. You should only post if you know what your talking about.

"when you can fill in a form and use your dad's P60 from the just gone financial year " This was incorrect too - it is never taken from the financial year that has just gone

CYI works like this.

AY 17/18 - tax year 17/18
AY 18/19 - tax year 17/18
AY 19/20 - tax year 17/18

It can be used for 3 years running once provided. The sponsors(parents/partner/spouse) just have to give permission each year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads