Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want everyone to approach this topic OBJECTIVELY! It is the Lord Voldemort of our lives, but dare we face up to it: Have A Levels got easier? Is the standard still the same? What do we think should be done to solve the problems facing the system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcoolinguk)
    I want everyone to approach this topic OBJECTIVELY! It is the Lord Voldemort of our lives, but dare we face up to it: Have A Levels got easier? Is the standard still the same? What do we think should be done to solve the problems facing the system?
    Exams...despite the fact that i've just done them..do seem to be getting easier. But i don't mean in comparison to say...20 years ago....i'm talking year upon year..there is a significant difference in the standard of the exams!

Take maths for example... I did p1-3 and m1-3 for a level. Next year..the specification is changing....p1-3 content is now being split into 4 smaller modules....and for a maths a level..they're removing one of the applied modules. For me..this would mean if i took the maths a level next year...i'd do p1-4 (which is p1-3) and M1 and M2....no m3.

Therefore..new maths a level students have to do one less module to get the same a level.

G

ReputationRep:
    In a sense I can see where they are coming from by saying that they have become easier. Being examined modularly gives you a chance to really shine in some areas and give you more of a notion of how you're doing as opposed to the old A-levels so you can pull up your socks more when you start to flag a bit.

Think the argument about the fact that resits make the exams easier and the standards lower is pants. The exams are still of the same quality and standard, it's just we have a chance to up the grade - people who resit are studying twice as hard for the exams so it's only right that they are doing better. It isn't that the exam itself is easier, just they have more experience! Much like someone on the old A-level system would have more experience with topics they had been studying from the beginning of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innercitylife)
    The exams are still of the same quality and standard,
    They're not all though...maths is getting easier cos they've allowed you to axe a whole module from the course. Arguably the hardest one as well.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Yep, Maths must be easier if you can now get an A-Level by doing 5 modules.
    Exactly...although according to the exam boards....its not only 5 modules...its 6...with the content of 5. Load of *******s isn't it

G

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the A Levels have gotten easier at all...questions r more oriented to test how much u know rather than try to distinguish what you dnt know (as with the O Level and GCSE comparison). Marking is now positive rather than negative..ie u dnt get marks knockd off you are awarded marks. Nevertheless as with the Maths example content is bein shifted all the time. However if you looked at it that way some stuff on P2 hav now been moved to C1 and there is no calculator either, so its difficult to say

What is certain is that if you dnt put the effort in at the end to do a bit of revision..guesswork and 'bul*****ing' is very much harder at A level than GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this was my thread. Even the title's practically the same! You stole my thread!

PROOF: http://www.uk-learning.net/t58393.html

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't..... I haven't seen that thread! Anyway... it's hardly an original title!!!

ReputationRep:
    If my results are anything to go by, then yes. They have.

Although the confusion caused by constant reforms/changes to syllabuses offests the increasing easiness.

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't..... I haven't seen that thread! Anyway... it's hardly an original title!!!
    It might be an idea to check for similar threads before posting your own.

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah, someone asking the question after people have had time to enjoy their results!

In all honesty - yeah, I think they're probably less demanding than they might have been previously, mostly because of the ability to resit - having lots of 'goes' at an exam does seem a little generous. Having said that - in terms of the workload they're probably more demanding, especially given that people have even less time to complete the courses now than they did three years ago.

I would have liked to have taken an old A level, just to see what I'd have got..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Exams...despite the fact that i've just done them..do seem to be getting easier. But i don't mean in comparison to say...20 years ago....i'm talking year upon year..there is a significant difference in the standard of the exams!

Take maths for example... I did p1-3 and m1-3 for a level. Next year..the specification is changing....p1-3 content is now being split into 4 smaller modules....and for a maths a level..they're removing one of the applied modules. For me..this would mean if i took the maths a level next year...i'd do p1-4 (which is p1-3) and M1 and M2....no m3.

Therefore..new maths a level students have to do one less module to get the same a level.

G
    Unforgiveable.

ReputationRep:
    if the results suggest that the exams are getting easier surely it should be noted that;
    a) with the AS level system if someone fails the AS year they will generally be stopped before they have chance to fail the actual Alevel and therefore failure rates will be automatically reduced.
    b) there are many more options and courses available, especially in more vocational areas, meaning that less academic pupils have many more routes open to them and are not pressured into taking a levels they can not pass well.

ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    eams are getting easier for two reasons
    a) you can resit modules
    b) especially for sciences, the syllabus is restricted and has not changed sinces AS levels were introduced in 2000 so they keep asking roughly the same questions each year so it is easy to 'predict' what is going to come in it.

ReputationRep:
    NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I don't agree with you but this is what I found when I did A-levels.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.