You've got to be a loving human before you can be religious Watch

NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
That's paraphrasing the caller here.

I'm interested in the personal journey not the religion.
I've known many people "brought up Christian" but left it because their heart wasn't in it and maybe came to it later when they knew what life was about.

Just wondered what anyone else thinks?
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NJA)
That's paraphrasing the caller here.

I'm interested in the personal journey not the religion.
I've known many people "brought up Christian" but left it because their heart wasn't in it and maybe came to it later when they knew what life was about.

Just wondered what anyone else thinks?
My personal opinion is that children should be encouraged to explore their own beliefs and religions freely, without their parents influencing/ brainwashing them. I've often noticed that friends brought up in very religious families have either rebelled and left the religion in their teens, or been the more closed-minded religious types who run the Christian Union etc., whereas those who were free to explore different religions and had a more open upbringing were more tolerant of others beliefs and more confident in their own
Thomazo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've hot to be an idiot before you even consider actually believing in those fairy tales
NJA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thomazo)
You've hot to be an idiot before you even consider actually believing in those fairy tales
What have you got to offer people?
NJA
Rep:
?
Here's another interesting personal journey, out of the Westboro Baptist Church.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You've got to be a loving human before you can be religious
I get how one could make that statement, however I can think of many religious individuals that are under the false impression that they are loving, while being a spiteful, arrogant, ignorant, hateful person.
NJA
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
I get how one could make that statement, however I can think of many religious individuals that are under the false impression that they are loving, while being a spiteful, arrogant, ignorant, hateful person.
Indeed, like the Pharisees they are good at finding fault in others, they think it's their ministry
... they are not good at grace-finding, which was Jesus' ministry.
Zorox1911
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Fairy tales? Well let's look at evolution, a truly epic work of fiction. It states that we came out of nothing (see Big Bang theory) and that out of that somehow amino acids somehow formed and somehow from those acids somehow created intelligent life. Now compare that with religion stating an omniscient god created intelligent life ( and everything else). I'm sorry, but believing in evolution requires you to believe a story with so many holes that just can't be filled.

Also, people died for their religious beliefs, you don't see people dying for evolutions sake.

mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The motivations for one's actions are important.

If you are kind and loving only because your imaginary friend in the sky tells you to, maybe with the threat of eternal damnation if you don't, then you are NOT a good person, you are not altruistic and you deserve no credit. Your actions are purely selfish and that matters.
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dragonkeeper999)
My personal opinion is that children should be encouraged to explore their own beliefs and religions freely, without their parents influencing/ brainwashing them. I've often noticed that friends brought up in very religious families have either rebelled and left the religion in their teens, or been the more closed-minded religious types who run the Christian Union etc., whereas those who were free to explore different religions and had a more open upbringing were more tolerant of others beliefs and more confident in their own
These are commonly-held views.

Is it the more positive outcome to be "more confident in [your] own [religion/philosophy]" if there are lots of people in a similar situation, allowed to "explore their own beliefs and religions freely", yet who come to differing contradicting conclusions?

You can only assert that the answer is yes if you believe that truth is relative, or that discerning what is true is not the highest priority. These are philosophical positions - worldviews. They are not impartial views of the world.

Therefore I would argue that it is your worldview that has given rise to your ideas, not some sort of enlightened thinking nor freedom from your parents' philosophies.
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
The motivations for one's actions are important.

If you are kind and loving only because your imaginary friend in the sky tells you to, maybe with the threat of eternal damnation if you don't, then you are NOT a good person, you are not altruistic and you deserve no credit. Your actions are purely selfish and that matters.
I don't think you'll find any academics who are naturalists claim the existence of "true altruism". You may want to do some reading on this. You are biting the hand that feeds you.
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have an uneducated, brainwashed tool. Go to school and learn science.

Rather than using a typically superior tone of voice, why don't you do your own research into evolution rather than believing what people tell you. Research the truth for yourself, I'd be surprised if you find it.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have an uneducated, brainwashed tool. Go to school and learn science.
Not every Christian is a creationist
I have zero problem with evolution
The creation story covers evolution very well
The Big Bang is fine too.
Created by God
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
Rather than using a typically superior tone of voice, why don't you do your own research into evolution rather than believing what people tell you. Research the truth for yourself, I'd be surprised if you find it.
Oh I've done that, you should consider doing the same. The sooner you do, the sooner you can stop embarrassing yourself by living under a giant rock. It's a conclusively proven fact. Arguing against evolution is like arguing that the Earth is flat. It makes you look like a complete tool. Seriously.

That's exactly what I always tell people: be objective, look at the information out there, and make logical conclusions, rather than believing what your parents have told you to believe or what some 2000-year-old book says. If you are intelligent and compare all the information out there objectively, you won't come to any other conlusion than science.
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Not every Christian is a creationist
I have zero problem with evolution
The creation story covers evolution very well
The Big Bang is fine too.
Created by God
Then where's the point in believing in the religion at all if you don't even believe its most fundamental teaching, the one that the whole cult is based on? If you realise that the whole thing is based on a nonsensical belief, how can you not realise that maybe the whole thing is nonsense?

Gratz, you're somewhat civilized by 21st century western standards.

No it does not, uou can create your own crwation stories, but the creation story, as it is in the bible, does not cover evolution, but directly contradicts it.

I know.

What reason do you have to believe that there was some intelligent omniscient being that initiated big bang? I might as well say that Santa initiated the big bang and have just as much evidence(none at all). Both beliefs are thus just as nonsensical.
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh I've done that, you should consider doing the same. The sooner you do, the sooner you can stop embarrassing yourself by living under a giant rock. It's a conclusively proven fact. Arguing against evolution is like arguing that the Earth is flat. It makes you look like a complete tool. Seriously.

That's exactly what I always tell people: be objective, look at the information out there, and make logical conclusions, rather than believing what your parents have told you to believe or what some 2000-year-old book says. If you are intelligent and compare all the information out there objectively, you won't come to any other conlusion than science.

Is evolution is based off of random mutations?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zorox1911)
Fairy tales? Well let's look at evolution, a truly epic work of fiction. It states that we came out of nothing (see Big Bang theory) and that out of that somehow amino acids somehow formed and somehow from those acids somehow created intelligent life. Now compare that with religion stating an omniscient god created intelligent life ( and everything else). I'm sorry, but believing in evolution requires you to believe a story with so many holes that just can't be filled.
Evolution says nothing about how the world came about or how life started. It only describes how new species of life arise from ones that already exist, and how they adapt to their environments.

(Original post by Zorox1911)
Also, people died for their religious beliefs, you don't see people dying for evolutions sake.
People don't tend to kill on behalf of evolution either.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, sort of. Mutations and random reassortment of genetic material in sexual reproduction produce variance in populations of species. The environment in which they live causes individuals better suited to reproducing in that environment to more often pass on the genes that made them that way - so the prevalence of those genes increases.
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Well, sort of. Mutations and random reassortment of genetic material in sexual reproduction produce variance in populations of species. The environment in which they live causes individuals better suited to reproducing in that environment to more often pass on the genes that made them that way - so the prevalence of those genes increases.
Do you know what the chance of a bacteria evolving into a human is (excluding environmental factors)?
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That sentence makes no sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (362)
67.04%
No (178)
32.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed