The Student Room Group

C4 maths implicit differentiation help

' The two points on the curve x^2 + y^2 -xy = 84 where the gradient of the curve is 1/3 are A and B. Find the equations of the the tangents at A and B. '

I differentiated the equation to get what I think is correct : 2x + 2ydy/dx -xdy/dx -y = 0 .
It's just from here I seem to have no clue what to do, I make it equal to 1/3 but it doesn't seem to work out for me.

Any help is really appreciated so thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
You have to have only dy/dx on one side so it's equal to a implicit equation involving x's and y's and make that equal to 1/3. Then find y in terms of x and put that into the original equation to find the y coordinates then use y=mx+c to find c.
(edited 6 years ago)
Simplify
Dy/dx(term n + term m) = 2x-y
I have left the missing bits then rearrange and put in your values at point P to get your values for the gradient.
Reply 3
Original post by Vikingninja
You have to have only dy/dx on one side so it's equal to a implicit equation involving x's and y's and make that equal to 1/3.

yep so I tried to do what I think you mean where i got : dy/dx = (y-2x)/(2y-x) = 1/3. But from this I can't seem to get rid of the x or y for me to then be able to get a coordinate of some sort?? I just don't know what I'm not seeing
Original post by olivia099
' The two points on the curve x^2 + y^2 -xy = 84 where the gradient of the curve is 1/3 are A and B. Find the equations of the the tangents at A and B. '

I differentiated the equation to get what I think is correct : 2x + 2ydy/dx -xdy/dx -y = 0 .
It's just from here I seem to have no clue what to do, I make it equal to 1/3 but it doesn't seem to work out for me.

Any help is really appreciated so thank you
You would probably get more responses if you posted in the maths forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

(Tagging Vikingninja in case he as abiltiy to move it...)

Edit: also worth pointing out Math forum rules: you need to post what you've done so far if you want people to respond.
yep so I tried to do what I think you mean where i got : dy/dx = (y-2x)/(2y-x) = 1/3. But from this I can't seem to get rid of the x or y for me to then be able to get a coordinate of some sort?? I just don't know what I'm not seeing

Multiply both sides by 2y-x so then you can find x in terms of y (sorry meant to say that, you want the original equation to only contain y's).
Reply 6
Original post by DFranklin
You would probably get more responses if you posted in the maths forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Edit: also worth pointing out Math forum rules: you need to post what you've done so far if you want people to respond.

Ok apologies this is the first time i've posted anything so I had no clue
Don't do that - it's unnecessary complications.

From 2x + 2ydy/dx -xdy/dx -y = 0 simply replace dy/dx by 1/3. It's very easy to get y in terms of x, then sub into x^2+y^2-xy = 84 and you'll be done in a couple of lines.
Reply 8
Multiply both sides by 2y-x so then you can find x in terms of y (sorry meant to say that, you want the original equation to only contain y's).

THANK YOU! EPIPHANY! I just didn't realise I could just use the value for x in terms of y but yeah I completely understand that now. Thanks for the help :laugh::h:
Original post by DFranklin

Sorry I'm not the right section, tagging another guy who may be able to move it.
@RDKGames

(y-2x)/(2y-x) = 1/3

Using this you should be able to get y in terms of x. y = 5x
sub that back into the ORIGINAL equation (the x^2 + y^2 -xy = 84) and you should get two answers for x. then sub back in for the y cordinates
Reply 11
Original post by Formless
(y-2x)/(2y-x) = 1/3

Using this you should be able to get y in terms of x. y = 5x
sub that back into the ORIGINAL equation (the x^2 + y^2 -xy = 84) and you should get two answers for x. then sub back in for the y cordinates

Yeah that's why I eventually did and the answer i got was right - thanks :h::h:
Reply 12
You have to have only dy/dx on one side

No you don't - this is an unnecessary complication; see DFranklins post.

Quick Reply