Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After getting some pretty mediocre results im wondering if for the sake of a better course in a top 10 uni (economics) I should apply next year. Having flopped my maths exam the chances of getting a place for an economic degree are pretty slim if not nul. I was thinking maybe if I apply next year after I have re-sat most of the weak modules I would have a better chances of getting such a place. I could always do law but I know I would regret it forever. Also a gap year would actually help me in terms of labour experience and other non-academic opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    Also if I applied this year and was turned down would I be able to re-apply at the same uni after i had done my re-sits?

ReputationRep:
    Loads of unis let you do economics or joint economics/finance courses without maths. I'm thinking of doing eco, and I flopped maths (AS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    Loads of unis let you do economics or joint economics/finance courses without maths. I'm thinking of doing eco, and I flopped maths (AS).
    Problem is i really want to do such a course at a top uni and dont want to spend the rest of my life regretting it.

ReputationRep:
    What results did you get exactly?

(York/Nottingham/Edinburgh are just some unis that don't ask for maths).

ReputationRep:
    Why bother with the whole top 10 uni thing?

Lancaster / Hull / Newcastle / U.E.A. are all good uni's that offer Economics.

I got A's and am going to Hull. Someone asked me today why I didn't aim for somewhere bigger / better?

Aslong as you get a good degree it doesnt really matter where you get it from aslong as it is a good, respectable place.

The only difference is if you go to the university Superleague of Oxbridge and possibly four or five others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    What results did you get exactly?

(York/Nottingham/Edinburgh are just some unis that don't ask for maths).

I thought York and Nottingham do ask for maths and if they dont I would be pretty shocked by that. I got A eco, B law, C politics, at least B in Italian (since i havent got results yet, diff school) and obviously the 'great' E in maths.

Could someone answer the question of the original 2 threads? I dont exactly know if I could do that and be sure my chances would be intact in case I apply next year.

P.s these are As level btw ...

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not when I looked. York only ask for GCSE B I think...I'll have to check the prospectus, but an a-level isn't required.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.