coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Which ion has the smallest ionic radius?
A Cl−
B Ca2+
C K+
D S2−

Can someone explain why B is the answer? The mark scheme says because Ca has the most postive charge but I thought Cl- will be the smallest as it has less shielding and has the greatest nuclear charge..

Thanks
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All of them = 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6, therefore have the same shielding. Which has the most protons?
Adam_1999
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Write out the electron configuration of each species: Cl- [Ne] 3s2 3p6 which is [Ar]
Ca2+ has the electron configuration of Argon, but with 2 more protons.
K+ and S2- have the same number of electrons as argon. In fact all of choices have the same number of electrons, but calcium has the most protons, therefore highest nuclear charge and therefore smallest ionic radius.

The overall charge on an ion has NOTHING to do with its ionic radius. Ionic radius depends only on the distance between the nucleus and the valence electrons (ie how many shells it has) and the nuclear charge (how many protons it has). This is a very common misconception!

https://youtu.be/U9t-slLl30E
coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
16.99%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.46%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise