Rishi L
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I'm trying to decide between self catered and catered accommodation for the first year.

For people on self catered, how often did you find you would buy food on campus in the first year, would it be regularly like lunch everyday or something as you are out and about or rarely.

For those on catered, did you find yourself restricted? Also, were there lots of other people on catered who you could have meals with and what is the quality of food like? And did you find the credit was sufficient for 3 meals a day throughout the week. Lastly, how does the credit,work, can you carry credit over from one week to the next, one term to the next and if you had some left at the end of first year could you use it in second year.

Thanks in advance
cheesedrew
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rishi L)
Hello, I'm trying to decide between self catered and catered accommodation for the first year.

For people on self catered, how often did you find you would buy food on campus in the first year, would it be regularly like lunch everyday or something as you are out and about or rarely.

For those on catered, did you find yourself restricted? Also, were there lots of other people on catered who you could have meals with and what is the quality of food like? And did you find the credit was sufficient for 3 meals a day throughout the week. Lastly, how does the credit,work, can you carry credit over from one week to the next, one term to the next and if you had some left at the end of first year could you use it in second year.

Thanks in advance
Im self catered and rarely buy campus food (i.e. the restaurants there). the majority of students prep their own food. a trip to the local supermarket (there's only 2 on campus) once a week or even every two weeks week should suffice if you have the freezer space.

check out this page about catered. http://www.bath.ac.uk/guides/using-y...-drink-credit/

the people i know that are catered still end up cooking themselves a few days a week
dontgotobath
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks in advance
Definitely go self-catered, you end up having to budget your catered food anyway so it's just like having self-catered in that regard, so you'll end up eating rations at a time because you don't have enough money on your library card to afford a proper meal by the end of term. The quality of the food is also not worth the price you have to pay and you can make a better meal for a lot cheaper.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks in advance
Hi Rishi,

This decision really does depend on yourself, when I was in my first year I stayed in Quads so was part-catered. Although £27.50 a week was not sufficient for three meals a day, I got an evening meal most nights of the week and also some lunch. Personally I don't enjoy cooking, being catered allowed me to avoid this most days of the week.

I see other comments suggesting that there is not enough money, if you are in Quads it is not designed to cover every meal. This is why Quads is fully equipped with everything necessary to prepare your own meals. I have never heard of any major issues from those who are fully catered, of course if you buy the most expensive meal options three times a day every day, you may run out of credit sooner than the catering plan anticipates. I would argue that you need to be sensible, being catered is not an all you can eat buffet, but at the same time I do not know of anybody who felt that they were living from rations.

Understandably, being catered is more expensive that preparing food yourself, as buying food from any cafe or restaurant would be. In this case you need to factor in your own financial position, some students would prefer to be self-catered to save money that they can use on other alternatives.

Your credit carries over from one week to the next, however I believe that at the end of your first year the credit cannot be carried over. Please do of course consult the housing contract with more details on this, as circumstances may have changed from when I was in my first year. Do note that while anybody can buy their own catered food, you receive a 10% boost to the credit you spend on your card. Eg. I spent £25 a week so received £27.50 in credit.

Answering your question about feeling restricted, to some extent you will always be more restricted when being catered. You can never fully dictate what will be on offer, despite what is in my opinion a large selection of meals.

As I stated at the beginning of my answer, this is a very personal choice. For me, I hate cooking, but I also enjoy eating out with friends in other restaurants in Bath. Therefore, I decided to be part catered.

I hope this helps!
Hayden
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 1 April 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 1 Apr '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 10 June 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 10 Jun '20
  • University of Bath
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 19 Jun '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (290)
60.42%
Yes- I don't like it (23)
4.79%
No- I want it (132)
27.5%
No- I don't want it (35)