Thoughts on psychology Watch

masterwam
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Psychology in my opinion is a science that should not be a science. I think it is dominated by the left wing and is a science creates wrong conclusions. For instance, I have no intention of getting into a relationship because I want to get into politics and become a conservative MP, hopefull PM but a psychologist would reach a conclusion that Im adopting this position as a coping mechanism for not having a girlfriend. I also dont like how pscyhologists infiltrate our society by constantly questioning the motives of right wing conservative figures regarding decisions that are made. For instanec saying that hawkish foreign policy is a result of a politicians weak ego. None of these so called scientists ever question the motive of the left!. I also dont like how they question other motives for islamic terrorism i.e. poverty and lack of jobs when there is a clear purantical dangerous form of islam coming from the Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia.

We also place a value on the services of psychology as it is a uni degree choice and when we suffer periods of feeling unhappy we seek their services. I used to think sociology was the danger along with gender studies but now psychology is the threat.

PSYCHOLOGISTS OUR PATIENCE RUNS THIN
I would like to know your thoughts on the matter
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by masterwam)
Psychology in my opinion is a science that should not be a science. I think it is dominated by the left wing and is a science creates wrong conclusions. For instance, I have no intention of getting into a relationship because I want to get into politics and become a conservative MP, hopefull PM but a psychologist would reach a conclusion that Im adopting this position as a coping mechanism for not having a girlfriend. I also dont like how pscyhologists infiltrate our society by constantly questioning the motives of right wing conservative figures regarding decisions that are made. For instanec saying that hawkish foreign policy is a result of a politicians weak ego. None of these so called scientists ever question the motive of the left!. I also dont like how they question other motives for islamic terrorism i.e. poverty and lack of jobs when there is a clear purantical dangerous form of islam coming from the Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia.

We also place a value on the services of psychology as it is a uni degree choice and when we suffer periods of feeling unhappy we seek their services. I used to think sociology was the danger along with gender studies but now psychology is the threat.

As someone who has undertaken psychology at uni and post grad I can tell you people pretending psychology is a science is what ruins the subject.

Neurology is a science and is where most meaningful advancements in mental health happen.

Psychology is bogged down by scientific rigour which ruins creating new treatments to help people with issues.

Far too much attention is paid to how humans think rather than abnormal psychology which is how to treat people to become more healthy in their minds.

Manipulating a tiny variables isn't going to forward the understanding of the mind quickly.

At least it isn't as bad as sociology though which is politics without substance 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

The butt-hurt is strong with this one...
LenniesRabbit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For instance, I have no intention of getting into a relationship because I want to get into politics and become a conservative MP, hopefull PM but a psychologist would reach a conclusion that Im adopting this position as a coping mechanism for not having a girlfriend.
I completely get what you mean, but I think this is a rather simplistic idea of what psychology is. If anything that's a more weird Freudian outlook on life.
I personally see psychology as a science despite the typical opinion that it's not, but it's more of an open science than a closed science like natural sciences and that is probably why people do not see it as..well...a proper science. It's more open to critique and speculation and nothing is ever set in stone (e.g. like the Big Bang or theories of evolution), but this is because its the human mind and nothing can ever be certain, so we can just take what we know and continue investigating phenomena and creating helpful and applicable research from it (research that influences our daily lives without us even realising).

I do, however, agree that more attention is put on how humans think than abnormal psychology but in recent years with the decline in mental health stigma you're seeing a sharp influx in psychologists investigating brain abnormalities and they usually couple up with neuroscientists in order to do this.

ButIdunnoIt'sJustMyPOV :awesome:
Richard0328
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
a potential politician claiming that psychologists talk gibberish lol
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Psychology like education is almost impossible to test scientifically. Since everyone is different you can never isolate single variables within an experiment. But that doesn't mean one shouldn't experiment or that one shouldn't attempt to use scientific rigour or questioning. To demote psychology to a pseudo-science that is unimportant or irrelevant helps no one.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Even if psychology isn't seen as a science, it's still an incredibly important and insightful subject that plays a crucial part in life and society
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (87)
24.37%
No (270)
75.63%

Watched Threads