The Student Room Group

What is better, a level physics or biology

Poll

What is a more worthwhile A Level - Biology or Physics

What is a better a level option - Biology or Physics. I enjoy both and do succeed well at gcse level, but I'm unsure which one would be more useful.

Scroll to see replies

What are you other a-levels?
What are your other A levels? what do you want to study at uni?
Yeah noticed you didn't list chemistry? Either you are already set on doing it or you hate and have already dismissed it XD.
Reply 4
It literally depends on what you wanna do after A-Levels..

If you have no idea choose the one you enjoy the most. But one isn't 'better' than the other, unless you're looking to go for a specific uni course
Original post by Dimki
What is a better a level option - Biology or Physics. I enjoy both and do succeed well at gcse level, but I'm unsure which one would be more useful.

Physics can lead to careers in engineering, computer science, academic research, finance and much much more. With Biology the only thing you can do become a doctor or test someone's blood for rabies.

In physics you'll learn about how the university started, how electrons can disappear from one spot and reappear a instant later in a different spot. You'll discover how cats can be dead and alive at the same time and you'll learn how a plane stays in the air. In biology, all you will do is count snails with a quadrat. I'm not joking: all the people who biology at our school actually went on a field trip to do this.

Physics = more money, great career. Biology = examining 80 year olds to see whether they are dead yet.
(edited 6 years ago)
What do you want to do with your life?

If you want to be an engineer, physics and maths is good. If you want to be a doctor biology and chemistry (also a third science doesn't hurt here).
Reply 7
Original post by Adam_1999
Physics can lead to careers in engineering, computer science, academic research, finance and much much more. With Biology the only thing you can do become a doctor or test someone's blood for rabies.

In physics you'll learn about how the university started, how electrons can disappear from one spot and reappear a instant later in a different spot. You'll discover how cats can be dead and alive at the same time and you'll learn how a plane stays in the air. In biology, all you will do is count snails with a quadrat. I'm not joking: all the people who biology at our school actually went on a field trip to do this.

Physics = more money, great career. Biology = examining 80 year olds to see whether they are dead yet.

Oh please Adam spare everyone the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:. You're clearly butt hurt by getting a mediocre B in you GCSE Biology Double award. I think you'll find that biology is far more elite as a subject career wise, becoming a doctor is far more credential than 'researching' (highly unstable job hun) about a couple of guys who came up with statements and called them laws when they were 80 and now dead. Spare us alllll the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:. love you x
Classic physics vs biology wars and then chemistry is like [video="youtube;DohRa9lsx0Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q[/video]

You're ignorant af. And I do both btw.
Reply 10
Original post by black1blade
Classic physics vs biology wars and then chemistry is like [video="youtube;DohRa9lsx0Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q[/video]

I get the vibe that youre the type of guy who doesnt like school, because of people, but loooooved school if you know what I mean. #sociallyinept but better than #sociologyinept, xoxo gossip girl
Original post by mass_
I get the vibe that youre the type of guy who doesnt like school, because of people, but loooooved school if you know what I mean. #sociallyinept but better than #sociologyinept, xoxo gossip girl

Lawllllll
Original post by mass_

I mean love school present tense and it's gonna be so dope after exams because I'm dropping english. Also I'm not that socially inept- like compared to the people I play D&D with lol. I do thrive in classroom settings though deffo.
Reply 13
Original post by dannyboy2015
lawllllll

gotta keep the bad b*tch reputation going

"great career" can be with either.

"More money" is only applicable to finance. Unless you're in software, engineers and researchers get :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: pay.

Physics you learn about how the universe started. Biology you learn about how life started. Its more than counting snails you nub.
Reply 15
I mean love school present tense and it's gonna be so dope after exams because I'm dropping english. Also I'm not that socially inept- like compared to the people I play D&D with lol. I do thrive in classroom settings though deffo.

I mean they say J.K Rowling was the last real author, you drop English then expect to drop the grammer attitude, everyone assumes you drop because you fail or the typical "my teacher said my coursework was an A and I swear I was like a micrometer mark away from an A" but lezz be honest hunny, you was a mediocre C. Thrive in classroom setting? Does that mean you thrive in the classroom, but not with the xyz group. Yeah thought so, and if you pull the "i dont care about what people think about me" then why the retaliation in the first place..... thought so. xoxo gossip girl
At uni, biology seems a bit more open ended. Like writing essays on certain topics rather than doing a bunch of maths problems in physics. That said some very mathy areas of biology, very chemistry areas and physics areas too. Science is very interdisciplinary.
Reply 17
At uni, biology seems a bit more open ended. Like writing essays on certain topics rather than doing a bunch of maths problems in physics. That said some very mathy areas of biology, very chemistry areas and physics areas too. Science is very interdisciplinary.

"Interdisciplinary"
Please, some of us don't want to heave.
Original post by mass_
I mean they say J.K Rowling was the last real author, you drop English then expect to drop the grammer attitude, everyone assumes you drop because you fail or the typical "my teacher said my coursework was an A and I swear I was like a micrometer mark away from an A" but lezz be honest hunny, you was a mediocre C. Thrive in classroom setting? Does that mean you thrive in the classroom, but not with the xyz group. Yeah thought so, and if you pull the "i dont care about what people think about me" then why the retaliation in the first place..... thought so. xoxo gossip girl

I'm not even bad at english I just don't like it because I don't really like reading and remembering stuff to put into essays. Also really short essays is ehh. Wish I had done biology instead so I would have all science and maths. I really like seeing the connections to maths in physics and physics stuff in chemistry and even maths in chemistry (boltzmann distribution).
Doing biochem at uni atm. None of this long essay bs @bkack1blade. I've been doing lab reports and enzyme assays mostly (only 1st yr).
Would really recommend taking S1 and maybe S2 no matter what you pick (if you still get to pick those extra modules in maths).

Also this thread is too lulzy.

Quick Reply

Latest