The Student Room Group

Applying to UCAS without parents?

hey
im 17 and in yr12
i will be applying for ucas soon, but unfortunately my parents are very abusive. its always been my dream to run away to a faraway uni and hide away from them and cut them off that way...
however i have realised my parents have to be involved in the ucas application process
this would mean them knowing what universities i want to go to and my household income affecting my maintenance loan although they will not be able to financially support me when i cut them off. if it helps i qualify for minimum grant due to high household income, which will be unsustainable living independently.
so what do i do? staying in contact with them is definitely not an option
thank you x
Original post by anongirlpharm
hey
im 17 and in yr12
i will be applying for ucas soon, but unfortunately my parents are very abusive. its always been my dream to run away to a faraway uni and hide away from them and cut them off that way...
however i have realised my parents have to be involved in the ucas application process
this would mean them knowing what universities i want to go to and my household income affecting my maintenance loan although they will not be able to financially support me when i cut them off. if it helps i qualify for minimum grant due to high household income, which will be unsustainable living independently.
so what do i do? staying in contact with them is definitely not an option
thank you x

Your household income is requested for the income assessed student finance.

It isn't required for UCAS applications and if your family provides their income information they aren't informed which universities or courses you apply to.

If you were wanting to be assessed as an independent student then you would need to apply for finance after a gap year with proof that you were estranged from your parents. Usually this proof would be a letter from your school/a teacher who is aware of your situation.

Basically if this is something you want to do then confiding in a teacher now about your plans would be a good idea. Applying for deferred entry in 2019 when UCAS opens in the autumn. And moving out of home and cutting off contact as soon as your exams finish in the summer of 2018. You need to be estranged for a year to be classed as independent.

Quick Reply

Latest