The Student Room Group

Gcse maths

Guys I'm so worried. I don't think I'll pass. I ended up with a 3 in my mock. Any tips? I'd be so glad to get a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Guys I'm so worried. I don't think I'll pass. I ended up with a 3 in my mock. Any tips? I'd be so glad to get a 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers are your best friends! You'll find that the questions are very similar each year, but with different numbers and letters used. If you get used to how to do them, you'll be able to do them so quickly in the real thing. My teacher used to set us a past paper each week (alternating between calc and non-calc) until we had done all of them (and then we started again) and the whole class ended up getting As and A*s because we found the exam so easy by that point.

Also, for formulas, we made a tune to go with them for a test in year 8 quickly on the bus because none of us had done any revision for it so we tried to joke about it by making songs to "remember" them but I still know them now and I'm in year 13! We learned the Cosine rule, the area of a trapezium, and the circle song (if you don't know the circle song, google it!) and things like that were really useful in our final exam as we could remember the formula easily.

Maths GCSE is essentially practising until it become second nature.
If this is about the Edexcel 9-1 spec, then don't worry. Every student in the country is struggling with it (some people are getting 10/80 in ht). You just need to work really hard and make sure you attempt every question, even if you can't fully answer it. The grade boundaries are likely to be quite low because so many people are finding it hard.
Reply 3
Original post by joeyfrazier
If this is about the Edexcel 9-1 spec, then don't worry. Every student in the country is struggling with it (some people are getting 10/80 in ht). You just need to work really hard and make sure you attempt every question, even if you can't fully answer it. The grade boundaries are likely to be quite low because so many people are finding it hard.

yes this is about the edexcel one :frown:
i feel like this year we will have so many maths resits!!
im just scraping 3 and 4s. the most i have ever got out of 80 was 27.
Original post by z_o_e
yes this is about the edexcel one :frown:
i feel like this year we will have so many maths resits!!
im just scraping 3 and 4s. the most i have ever got out of 80 was 27.

Are you taking higher or foundation?
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx
Are you taking higher or foundation?

higher
The only way to succeed in maths is by doing questions. The more questions you do the more XP you gain. Learning the methods are the tools you need but doing actual questions puts your tools into use and make you become more familiar, comfortable and efficient.

Quick Reply

Latest