My uni offer lettters don't specify that I need maths GCSE?

Watch
ElleW
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
OK, this is my first post so I hope this is the correct way to do it.

So yeah, I'm studying an Access to HE course (humanities) and have offers from Sheffield and SOAS to study Korean and Japanese. I'm also re-taking maths GCSE to get a C because everyone says (and I thought this too) that if you don't have GCSE maths then you'll never get into uni, BUT my offer letters literally don't say anything about the maths, only the grades I need to get in my Access course. Obviously I'm still going to continue with the maths and try to get a C but I'm so terrible at it that there is a possibility that I'll fail again.
So I just want to know, if the maths is that important then why wouldn't the unis mention it at all in the conditions? Does this mean I could possibly still get in even if I fail the maths? Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Thanks very much to anyone who replies!
Zentox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ElleW)

So yeah, I'm studying an Access to HE course (humanities) and have offers from Sheffield and SOAS to study Korean and Japanese. I'm also re-taking maths GCSE to get a C because everyone says (and I thought this too) that if you don't have GCSE maths then you'll never get into uni, BUT my offer letters literally don't say anything about the maths, only the grades I need to get in my Access course. Obviously I'm still going to continue with the maths and try to get a C but I'm so terrible at it that there is a possibility that I'll fail again.
So I just want to know, if the maths is that important then why wouldn't the unis mention it at all in the conditions? Does this mean I could possibly still get in even if I fail the maths? Has anyone else been in a situation like this?

Hi there, I think the best thing to do is call up the uni about this. The only way you'll get a definite answer to this
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a D in maths but still got into uni
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Many thousands of people enter university without C passes in maths or English, or without the 5 GCSEs people think you need. If you are concerned, call and ask.
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ElleW)

Best thing would be to call your university and ask them. They might actually need a C in GCSE Maths but might not have wrote it.
igcsecrazy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ElleW)

My brother is on the same page as you! He has re-sat his gcse math exam twice already and still got a D. He's doing business and is on track to getting DDD in his BTEC but I just worry he isn't going to get into uni because of his gcse grade. He doesn't seem bothered though which is the annoying thing haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.5%
I'm not sure (57)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.43%

Watched Threads