The Student Room Group

Tired of crap about 'left and right extremism'

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/28/macron-rise-extremism-not-inevitable-le-pen-france

Here is a good example. I think BornBlue mentioned something on the 'smugness of the centre left' on here too, a piece on it(if he could dig it out).

In fact these are the people who call legitimate positions extreme, and don't call out islamism as extremism.

Fact is, wanting national security and border control isn't extreme right. Wanting to not have people living in destitution isn't extreme left. What the supposed hard left and hard right have are moral positions. You can regard them as immoral or moral.

But what the 'centrists', usually neoliberal globalists have is simply amorality. Economic liberalism, laissez faire and let people sink. Cry bigotry at the opponents of open borders, which are loved solely by MNC's for the purposes of labour exploitation and profits. They are also liked by politicians who want voting blocks and prefer a divided(and ruled) country.

I am sick of cynical, smug, self-serving amorality masquerading loudly and sanctimoniously as principle.

That's why the authentic further left and further right hold more appeal to many now.

If Tony Benn was around, him and everyone like him in Labour, would vote Brexit. We've changed in that regard, and not for the better.

How are we in a place where the integrationists are bigots, and the segregationists progressives?

Where those who think no-one should live off food banks are borderline being labelled commies?

Where any sort of border control and policy not dictated by big business, any policy that considers our social fabric, and how to protect liberalism against the determination of Islamists, is considered 'fascist'?

Is this just a paradigm where people have given in with these cynical impersonal forces, such as corporatism, globalism and PC, to take the path of least resistance and moral approval. In reality many of these virtue signallers are completely hollow, callous people and you wouldn't trust them as far as you could throw them.

When people deemed intelligent and credible keeping buying into this fantasy narrative where corporate exploitation and letting working classes who are now underclasses rot is a progressive cause, where refusing to talk of the Islamist elephant in the room is a progressive cause against 'bigots', all they show is how opportunistic, smug, privileged and venal they are.

I'm currently listening to how an ex-Rothschild banker part of Hollandes team until recently is the person to shatter the consensus. Don't make me laugh, who is going to buy that?

And as for the crap about 'economic credibility' it has no substance and is driven by corporate media every single time.

The right on social issues is now more moral than the amoral left and 'centre'.
The left is more moral than the amoral right and 'centre' on the poor in our economy.

This is because we are so far left on social issues and so far right on the economy.

We are only the former, not out of integrity, or 'progressivism', but because it fits the needs of the powerful within the context of the latter. Hence that is the narrative that the elites push in the papers.

Is anyone else sick of listening to this stuff?
(edited 6 years ago)
I mean, aren't we all..

In fact these are the people who call legitimate positions extreme, and don't call out islamism as extremism.

What makes Islamic fundamentalism an illegitimate position? Sure, it's devoid of intellectual substance, but I certainly wouldn't invalidate the ideology due to that. Sorry if I've misunderstood here.
What a load of nonsense.

I mean sure, there are good points in there, but in general just ramblings that often are lacking detailed insight and scream bias.
Anyone remember when you were either a lefty, right-wing or just neutral? Why do we love to attach so many labels to things when we claim to be a society that believes that most labels are merely a social construct?

Quick Reply