New OCR Chemistry Spec Watch

CharChar53
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently revising for my A2 exams, and I was just wondering how other's are going about revising the new chemistry specification (OCR), specifically past paper questions, as the new questions have different structures to the old ones, and so past papers aren't the best way of revising exam technique. I've completed the sample assessments from the OCR website, but wondered if anyone had any other ways? :ta:
kk1009
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I still use the old spec past paper questions because there are some kind of similarities between the old and new spec. Just don't panic if you find a question about a topic you're unfamiliar with; it's mostly likely because that topic was on the old spec and not on the new one.
CharChar53
Rep:
?
(Original post by kk1009)
I still use the old spec past paper questions because there are some kind of similarities between the old and new spec. Just don't panic if you find a question about a topic you're unfamiliar with; it's mostly likely because that topic was on the old spec and not on the new one.
Ah okay, thanks! Are you just using the sample assessments to practice the multiple choice questions then?
kk1009
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CharChar53)
Ah okay, thanks! Are you just using the sample assessments to practice the multiple choice questions then?
Yeah, I'm saving the sample assessments until nearer to the exams though! What else do you do for revision?
CharChar53
Rep:
?
Yeah, I'm saving the sample assessments until nearer to the exams though! What else do you do for revision?
Mainly past papers, and I'm using questions from the new textbooks, as writing notes doesn't seem to work for me :ashamed2:

What other A-levels are you doing?
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From when I last spoke to my chem teacher about the new spec (I was the last year of the old one) he said it is pretty much identical just some units have been re-ordered so past papers from the old spec should help boost your revision efforts. Even if you cannot answer all the questions due to differing content those you can will be good practice as the style of examination is similar.
kk1009
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mainly past papers, and I'm using questions from the new textbooks, as writing notes doesn't seem to work for me :ashamed2:

What other A-levels are you doing?
Oh cool, I make notes because I find that doing them helps me remember the content more. I do biology, chemistry and maths! And you? I'm hoping to do biochemistry at university also, what about you?
ilovefruit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am currently revising for my A2 exams, and I was just wondering how other's are going about revising the new chemistry specification (OCR), specifically past paper questions, as the new questions have different structures to the old ones, and so past papers aren't the best way of revising exam technique. I've completed the sample assessments from the OCR website, but wondered if anyone had any other ways? :ta:
Are you doing OCR A or B?
CharChar53
Rep:
?
Oh cool, I make notes because I find that doing them helps me remember the content more. I do biology, chemistry and maths! And you? I'm hoping to do biochemistry at university also, what about you?
I wish that worked for me! I'm doing maths, chem and psychology, and hoping to do psychology in education next year My boyfriend does biochemistry at uni, and loves it!
CharChar53
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilovefruit)
Are you doing OCR A or B?
OCR A
kk1009
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wish that worked for me! I'm doing maths, chem and psychology, and hoping to do psychology in education next year My boyfriend does biochemistry at uni, and loves it!
That sounds great! What were his grades to get to his uni?
Also, what exam boards do you do? I go OCR A for biology and chemistry, and AQA for maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (143)
17.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.09%
No I am happy with my course choice (481)
59.09%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (116)
14.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed