Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How will the new SQE affect 2020 LPC grads? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I plan to do the GDL after university, meaning I would complete the LPC by 2020.
    As the new way to qualify to be a solicitor, the 'SQE' is coming in, this essentially means I'll be the last year to undergo the traditional route in becoming a solicitor.

My question is, how will this affect training contracts? Say if I've not secured a training contract next academic year, which is when my year will be applying for them, what will happen? Will firms still offer training contracts for a few years, thus making it much easier to secure a training contract as all the years below me have to go via the new SQE route. Or will it mean firms will quickly phase out training
    contracts? Thus making it a huge pain to actually become a solicitor just for my year?

Many Thanks

Ben
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nozick11)
    Hi guys,

I plan to do the GDL after university, meaning I would complete the LPC by 2020.
    As the new way to qualify to be a solicitor, the 'SQE' is coming in, this essentially means I'll be the last year to undergo the traditional route in becoming a solicitor.

My question is, how will this affect training contracts? Say if I've not secured a training contract next academic year, which is when my year will be applying for them, what will happen? Will firms still offer training contracts for a few years, thus making it much easier to secure a training contract as all the years below me have to go via the new SQE route. Or will it mean firms will quickly phase out training
    contracts? Thus making it a huge pain to actually become a solicitor just for my year?

Many Thanks

Ben
    You won't be the last year cohort, as there will be a transition period, probably for at least 4 years.

And that's if the SQE starts in Autumn 2020 - it's likely to be later and even the SRA are admitting that.

It won't be easier to get a TC whatever way it goes though. The jobs will still exist, they will still be recruited, and there will still be a lot of people who could take them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Nozick11)
    Hi guys,

Many Thanks

Ben
    I havent seen an explanation, but there will be transitional arrangements for a number of years. You will be at an advantage i having completed the academic qualifications. Competition will be high though as straight grads apply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ben, I know I am very late replying and by now you may have started the GDL. However, I was going to ask whether you had CILEx during this transition phase for the Law Society and SRA?

My background: I'm a chartered secretary who intended to begin a part time GDL this September to dual qualify as a solicitor. Whilst this is still my intention, I decided to do CILEx first as I will explain.

If I do CILEx, at some point in the very near future I will be able to start racking up work experience considered suitable by the more liberal requirements of the new SQE. Work experience can be gained both before and after completing the SQE. In 2020, I will be ready to sit the SQE having done some legal qualifications already and with my work experience in the bank and I will be able to do part 2 of the SQE almost immediately after SQE part 1. I expect to qualify in 2021.

If instead as a part time student I started the GDL now, completing in 2019, then did an LPC, completing in 2021 during the transition phase I would then have to do a training contract, qualifying in 2023. CILEx + SQE essentially allows me to do in 4 years what previously would have taken 6.

In your own case you'd be looking at qualifying in 2022 at the end of a training contract. Assuming that you're planning to do the GDL 2018-2019 and the LPC 2019-20, you could instead immediately start earning in 2018 and complete CILEx - realistically - in 2021 before spending 6 months covering the areas of SQE 1 you're less familiar with, then doing SQE 2 and qualifying at the same time, 2022. Whilst you wouldn't get the time advantage that part timers do you would be a qualified legal professional more quickly, be earning money throughout and probably have most (if not all) of your fees paid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AW_1983)
    Hi Ben, I know I am very late replying and by now you may have started the GDL. However, I was going to ask whether you had CILEx during this transition phase for the Law Society and SRA?

My background: I'm a chartered secretary who intended to begin a part time GDL this September to dual qualify as a solicitor. Whilst this is still my intention, I decided to do CILEx first as I will explain.

If I do CILEx, at some point in the very near future I will be able to start racking up work experience considered suitable by the more liberal requirements of the new SQE. Work experience can be gained both before and after completing the SQE. In 2020, I will be ready to sit the SQE having done some legal qualifications already and with my work experience in the bank and I will be able to do part 2 of the SQE almost immediately after SQE part 1. I expect to qualify in 2021.

If instead as a part time student I started the GDL now, completing in 2019, then did an LPC, completing in 2021 during the transition phase I would then have to do a training contract, qualifying in 2023. CILEx + SQE essentially allows me to do in 4 years what previously would have taken 6.

In your own case you'd be looking at qualifying in 2022 at the end of a training contract. Assuming that you're planning to do the GDL 2018-2019 and the LPC 2019-20, you could instead immediately start earning in 2018 and complete CILEx - realistically - in 2021 before spending 6 months covering the areas of SQE 1 you're less familiar with, then doing SQE 2 and qualifying at the same time, 2022. Whilst you wouldn't get the time advantage that part timers do you would be a qualified legal professional more quickly, be earning money throughout and probably have most (if not all) of your fees paid.
    This is based on the SQE starting in Autumn 2020 (highly likely there will be further delays and the SRA have admitted this) and pass the SQE on the first sitting. Looking at QLTS pass rates (which the SQE will be based on), the MCT element has typically been about a 50% pass rate and the OSCE about 75%. Considering there are two stages, it is going to be likely that most people will have to resit one element at some point, which could easily add on at least 6 months given how infrequent the exams sittings are.

But even with your suggestions, I am not sure why CILEx is needed. Your suggestion in part is a good one, as the person could gain legal work experience after graduating and that could go towards their QWE element of the SQE. But I don't see why the CILEx part is necessary. They can gain legal work experience without it and could still sit the SQE without having to put themselves through additional CILEx examinations along the way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.