Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamite)
    what subjects did u do and what grades??
    I did English Literature (B), Media Studies (B) and Psychology (A).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    Media??? - Mickey Mouse. *Thinks to himself if she cant get an A in that she should give up now*

ReputationRep:
    Media??? - Mickey Mouse. *Thinks to himself if she cant get an A in that she should give up now*
    :rolleyes: Ignorance is not a very positive attribute y'know. Work on your people skills a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Ignorance is not a very positive attribute y'know. Work on your people skills a bit more.
    LOL
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    C,D,E = a distinct lack of effort!
    If you say so - I'm sure you have far more life experience than anyone else here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I find it extremely hard to believe that virtually everyone on this forum got AAA's and AAB's. I spent a good 10 minutes looking through people's grades and only saw one C!! If people are telling the truth (which I seriously doubt) then it looks like A-Levels have got a lot easier (I did mine three yearrs ago).
    What's this site called? UK-Learning. Who's more likely to spend their time on an internet message board about education, revision, exam techniques, Oxbridge and grades? Thus the grades aren't exactly going to be representative of UK's student population. Just as the polls showing the majority here are virgins and have never had gf's isn't exactly representative...

jealous are we??
    LOL :rolleyes: Yeah were all vasty jealous of someone who exhibits all maturity of an 8 year old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Jools, what % of students do you reckon get straight A's at AS Level, out of all candidates?

What is it, roughly? I guess 3%.
    7.5% of A-Level students and 3% of 18 year olds get AAA at A-Level; not sure about AS. AS results are a lot lower than A2s - abt 17% are grade As compared to 22.4 for A-Level. This is quite interesting: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/3577504.stm - it shows that we don't really need to make A-Levels harder, we just need another way of differentiating between those ~20,000 at the top. UMS would be the straightforward way to do this... someone who gets 580/600 should have more credit than someone with 480/600; at the moment unless they declare their marks an A is an A.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite chuffed with my B in media studies considering i got a C in my coursework and i didn't know film and broadcast fiction- was 3 points off an A in reading the media and contemporary media...

ReputationRep:
    I just find it funny that all these children think a few A's at AS-Level make them intelligent lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maattdi_2000)
    I just find it funny that all these children think a few A's at AS-Level make them intelligent lol
    Agree ,some of the real intelligent inventors and scientests failed school,for me I know the reason why I didn't get a high mark in math,but shocked about the chemistry as I studied more than 14 hours a day for 15 days before the exam,I'm shocked about the C,I really think it should've been a B at least

ReputationRep:
    You may have got 5As but you really ought to get a life it's far more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    Agree ,some of the real intelligent inventors and scientests failed school,for me I know the reason why I didn't get a high mark in math,but shocked about the chemistry as I studied more than 14 hours a day for 15 days before the exam,I'm shocked about the C,I really think it should've been a B at least
    14 hrs a day?!? :eek:

I didnt do a quarter of that and got into Warwick lol. I think I just picked easy subjects lol! Thank God Warwick let me include them!

ReputationRep:
    I used to wake up at 5 am and keep studying with out gaps till 2 pm,then have lunch rest for an hour then back to studying,then mostly from 8 pm to 12 am or something like that,even while the hour rest yes I sit on tv,but with past papers in my hand ,and I got a C,can you believe it,even after the exam I went back home dearly happy,that I'll get an A,arrrgh,got an A only in unit one,

ReputationRep:
    Considering that the exams are too short to judge accurately *to that extent* and people do different syllabuses with seemingly varying difficulty in certain corresponding subjects, I don't think that would work.
    Even with different exam boards with different syllabi (which is just stupid, one exam board makes things fair across the board), there's a huge difference in intellect, effort and ability between someone who gets over 95% in their papers and someone who scrapes 80%. At uni I've seen a lot of people who scraped 480 in their subject really struggle.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, what on earth the Biology was about
    it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek comment in response to the original posters' arrogance . i did both geography (the colouring-in subject ) and biology (label a heart and get an "A") at AS-level so it wasn't exactly meant in seriousness!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps but I disagree, I'm not confident in the UMS system when the exams are short and the syllabuses can be totally different.

How can you make fair comparisons between 2 candidates taking Edexcel and AQA? You simpy can't, they take different exams, different topics perhaps, maybe the AS topics suited candidate 1 better than candidate 2 but it would switch around at A2 year, and so on...

Personally I'm all for longer, more thorough testing of students; if you want to judge people properly, then let them show you their ability more. 3 hours per subject isn't enough in my view to then get picky with UMS scores, when often people are on totally different syllabuses and so on, it just doesn't work in my view...

Example:

M1 on AQA
    M1 on OCR

Not a bat in hell's chance will I accept an interviewer comparing scores from those 2 modules, no chance whatsoever. M1 on AQA is way more difficult than that on OCR, I've seen exam papers from both, along with the textbooks and their topics, and M1 on AQA is definitely considerably harder I reckon.
    Well that leads to a different debate about exam boards. It is utterly unfair for a student's grade to be different solely due to which exam board they're taking.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm all for longer, more thorough testing of students; if you want to judge people properly, then let them show you their ability more. 3 hours per subject isn't enough in my view to then get picky with UMS scores
    3 hours? Aren't AS typically 3 x 1.5 and for an A-Level 9-12 hours overall? What are you proposing, even more / longer exams? As it is people have multiple clashes thanks to various syllabi and various exam boards and up to 7 hours of exams in a single day.

ReputationRep:
    No, 3 hours per subject now for many of them, not Mathematics, General Studies and a couple of others though (Computing).

"multiple clashes thanks to various syllabi and various exam boards and up to 7 hours of exams in a single day" - And that's another thing as well to consider, you could be lucky/unlucky with the clashes, never mind the numerous other factors that make comparing UMS scores completely ridiculous.
    Regardless of all the mitigating factors, if one student has 4A grades at AS ~240/300 and another at ~290/300, as an admissions tutor I know which one I'd be picking.

Say one student gets 205/300 and another 245/300, 40 UMS marks are the massive difference between an A and a C. So why shouldn't one differentiate between 240/300 and 280/300?

ReputationRep:
    That's a nonsense argument with the scores.

It's like saying "It's alright for a 50 year old to shag a 40 year old, so why isn't it ok for a 20 year old to shag a ten eyar old? Still a 10 year age difference, no?"

Also, "Regardless of all the mitigating factors, if one student has 4A grades at AS ~240/300 and another at ~290/300, as an admissions tutor I know which one I'd be picking." - In all fairness, I doubt you will find too many examples of this...

Plus, you're trying to rubbish all those very important factors just to try and use this method.

Get rid of those factors, that is:

1 syllabus for all, so with it you get:

Same topics tested
    Same length of examinations
    And the rest...

Longer exams, so you get tested more properly and throughly (that is, 1.5 hours per exam like it was is better...)
    that's a completely inappropriate analogy. i can see you would have failed critical thinking.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.