The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
imperial_baby
i accidently opened 2 accounts one iwth abbey national and one with natwest..i didn't realise ur only allowed one and then i went to hsbc and he said do u want a railcard and i was like no i already got one iwth natwest then he was like wat ur doing is illegal and ur going to get caught..what's going to happen to me??

you have a long stretch in jail ahead of you
Reply 2
Quiksilver
you have a long stretch in jail ahead of you

3-5 years, for fraud. You shouldn't have opened your mouth.
Reply 3
Bhaal85
3-5 years, for fraud. You shouldn't have opened your mouth.

OMG im an elite person :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 4
Gee, nice thing to say that, hun ....

I have two student accounts. It's really not a very clever idea like, but if you haven't gone into your overdraft on one of them then I'd say close that account (or at least remove the overdraft facility) and you'll be fine. I know at least five people with two student overdrafts and I'm taking a year out to clear mine up, they tend to become unnecessary extra expenses at the end of your degree. It's credit card payments you're more likely to end up in jail for - under NO circumstances get a credit card, no matter how broke you are and how tempting it may seem! You do have to pay these people back. Don't let the people at the bank scare you anyway, it take a long time to get these things to court and if you haven't got into your overdrafts you're ok anyway :biggrin: Plus they charge you loads of interest when you're paying back the overdrafts when you graduate, so it's actually a bit of a scam in the first place. Please don't worry yourself, just get to one of the banks and close the account asap, you don't really need two accounts unless you're working too and want to keep your loan and wages separate, which is a GOOD idea :wink:
Reply 5
imperial_baby
alrite..i know i'm quite gulliable..but i am NOT that gulliable

im not sure what to suggest, two options:
a) keep quiet and hope nobody finds out (risky)
b) ask abbey to cancel your account explaining the situation (riskier)
c) get proper legal advice (best option)
Reply 6
I'm just messing with you, if its a genuine mistake, I'm sure you can close either account and explain the situation. You won't get into any trouble, as you haven't gone into your overdrafts or shown them your letter of acceptence yet (I hope). So you can simply close your Abbey one. :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 7
imperial_baby
letter of acceptance from ucas?? i have :eek: :frown: and they photocopied it

Just go in again, and close the account, simple as, son't know why your making such a big fuss about a small thing.
Reply 8
If you get caught you could get into trouble.

At best they will do nothing.

In the middle they (all of them!) could ask you to repay all overdrafts etc within a month.

At worst they could do you for fraud.
Reply 9
The truth is you can have as many student accounts as you like just banks don't really want to waste there time if a student is using more than one.

On another point, HSBC gave me a 5 year railcard form without me opening a student account, so I happily filled it in and they gave me one for freeeeeee :smile: .
Reply 10
Jow
The truth is you can have as many student accounts as you like just banks don't really want to waste there time if a student is using more than one.

On another point, HSBC gave me a 5 year railcard form without me opening a student account, so I happily filled it in and they gave me one for freeeeeee :smile: .

Well, you can't really. You only have an entitlement to one student 'deal' per life time!

I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get a second for my medicine degree.

Have you got your rail card? cos I had to get something on headed letter paper from my branch saying I had opened a student account...
Reply 11
Jow

same :smile:
Reply 12
is it actually illegal to own more than one student bank account..? :confused:

Jow
On another point, HSBC gave me a 5 year railcard form without me opening a student account, so I happily filled it in and they gave me one for freeeeeee .

so you can just walk into HSBC and ask for a 5 year railcard form?
that sounds good, although I've only just renewed my normal one :frown:
Reply 13
On another point, HSBC gave me a 5 year railcard form without me opening a student account, so I happily filled it in and they gave me one for freeeeeee

How did you guy's go about getting the railcard from HSBC?
I already have a student account with them for the last four years but i'm now starting an entirely new course after graduating.
It sure would come in handy :smile:
The railcard business sounds cool....it's just that I paid 20 quid a month ago to get a railcard and now there's HSBC offering a five year one for free. So if I open up an account with them and get the railcard, it will just render my existing one void, i.e. a waste of £20
Reply 15
unclecraig
How did you guy's go about getting the railcard from HSBC?
I already have a student account with them for the last four years but i'm now starting an entirely new course after graduating.
It sure would come in handy :smile:

The rail card dead line is today.

I'm not entitled to one, as I have already had a student account. They are allowing me to have a student account (which took some persuading!) and the nice lady is sending my rail card application form off on the off chance is will get authorised!
Reply 16
Damn it Janet!!

I hear NatWest are doing a similar deal - may try to open an account with them and close my beloved HSBC account down.
I had a rail card with HSBC before and it saved me so much money. Well worth having one.
Reply 17
unclecraig
Damn it Janet!!

I hear NatWest are doing a similar deal - may try to open an account with them and close my beloved HSBC account down.
I had a rail card with HSBC before and it saved me so much money. Well worth having one.

Totally! You *should* be able to let your HSBC student account become a graduate account and open up a Nat West one, if you keep schtum!

I've just backwards converted my grad account to a HSBC student account, but they've put a note on my file so I can still get my professional studies loan!

Phhheeww!

The rail card should come in very helpful for clinicals!
Reply 18
Totally! You *should* be able to let your HSBC student account become a graduate account and open up a Nat West one, if you keep schtum!

Very cunning fluffy!
I may well give that a go :smile:

Where are you reading medicine btw?
Reply 19
unclecraig
Very cunning fluffy!
I may well give that a go :smile:

Where are you reading medicine btw?

Barts and The London. Can not wait! 4 weeks on Monday :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending