Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unclecraig)
    Very cunning fluffy!
    I may well give that a go

Where are you reading medicine btw?
    Barts and The London. Can not wait! 4 weeks on Monday

My my how easily 18 year olds are frightened. I’ve opened two accounts today and have had no problem.

And its not against the law to have two bank accounts – I don’t know what prat thought of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    the rail card is only worth £100 - they may reclaim this from higher interest rates etc

They don't - it's part of their promotional expendature - they more than likely do get it back through charges, but it won't be through charges on your student account. They want your business so that they can make money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    They don't - it's part of their promotional expendature - they more than likely do get it back through charges, but it won't be through charges on your student account. They want your business so that they can make money!
    do you know when the natwest deadline is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    do you know when the natwest deadline is?
    no - sorry. Give them a call. They will tell you.

fx

ReputationRep:
    scrub that. From their web site:

Important Information
    Free Young Persons Railcard offer

The Young Persons Railcard is free for 5 years and available to first-year undergraduate students who are entering higher education for the first time, and who open a NatWest Student Account between 21 June and 31 October 2004. Use of the Railcard is subject to terms and conditions. For full terms and conditions of the offer please refer to our Student Account application form.

ReputationRep:
    Barts and The London. Can not wait! 4 weeks on Monday
    Only 4 weeks? You are very lucky!
    I'm arriving in the big smoke on the 25th and i've still got to contend with my crappy job in the mean time.

Getting really excited now that my offer became official - I just sent off my AS12 today even though I had my place way back in March.
    I've got a couple of medic mates who are at GKT doing clinicals so i'm thinking about doing a tour of London Med School freshers events with them while trying to avoid the customary GKT ginning!

Who knows, I may turn up at a freshers event near you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    My my how easily 18 year olds are frightened. I’ve opened two accounts today and have had no problem.

And its not against the law to have two bank accounts – I don’t know what prat thought of that.
    No, but its a part of almost all student accounts' conditions of holding an account that it is your ONLY student account. Some make you pay the loan cheque into that account aswell.

I have HSBC student account (0.1%) and Coventry current account (4.85%), so the cheque is going in, then straight out of my student account!

ReputationRep:
    scrub that. From their web site:

Important Information
    Free Young Persons Railcard offer

The Young Persons Railcard is free for 5 years and available to first-year undergraduate students who are entering higher education for the first time, and who open a NatWest Student Account between 21 June and 31 October 2004. Use of the Railcard is subject to terms and conditions. For full terms and conditions of the offer please refer to our Student Account application form.
    I may try and sweet talk them, persuade them that i'm going to be a professional with a secure job, putting a lot of cash into my nice new NatWest account once I graduate
    Worth a try, afterall they are a business and they will want my custom.

(Original post by teamvillage)
    No, but its a part of almost all student accounts' conditions of holding an account that it is your ONLY student account. Some make you pay the loan cheque into that account aswell.

I have HSBC student account (0.1%) and Coventry current account (4.85%), so the cheque is going in, then straight out of my student account!
    With Abbey I deposited £500 today and the overdraft is scheduled to be opened next Monday.

With Natwest I simply opened the account and it was activated.

I was never asked or told that this must be my sole account. I read through the Natwest conditions - I couldnt see such a condition. But even if it did have that condition, so what? They cant find out - that's why they ask you to promise not to.

And I'll promise all the way to the biggy bank...

ReputationRep:
    i had a hsbc livecash thing ages ago, from this account they sent this letter where all i had to do was send some photos with the rply slip to get a 5 year rail photocard, i did this, got the card a week later.

this was about 3 months ago

i aint a student yet. havent even got ucas confirmation.

ReputationRep:
    About the free 5 year railcard that I got from from HSBC, they sent me the form, so I filled it in and it was sent back by post. I had not even received conformation of my acceptance from ucas which you need to set one up.

And about the question "is it illegal to set more than one up". Well the answer is deinately NO. You can set as many as you like up, just don't tell the other banks that you are with another as some banks state it in there terms and conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial_baby)
    i accidently opened 2 accounts one iwth abbey national and one with natwest..i didn't realise ur only allowed one and then i went to hsbc and he said do u want a railcard and i was like no i already got one iwth natwest then he was like wat ur doing is illegal and ur going to get caught..what's going to happen to me??
    Dude, it's not illegal. At worse it's breach of contract. In the Natwest Terms&Conditions it says "You must use the Student Account as your main current account and deposit regular amounts by way of local education funding, parental contribution, salary, [etc..]". They can terminate your account, but not make a criminal complaint.

There's no way I'm using a *****y bank like Natwest, but I wanted their convenient rail card. Once I get the Natwest acct, I'll set up a couple of standing orders so money bounces between the two accounts to simulate activity!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amex)
    Dude, it's not illegal. At worse it's breach of contract. In the Natwest Terms&Conditions it says "You must use the Student Account as your main current account and deposit regular amounts by way of local education funding, parental contribution, salary, [etc..]". They can terminate your account, but not make a criminal complaint.

There's no way I'm using a *****y bank like Natwest, but I wanted their convenient rail card. Once I get the Natwest acct, I'll set up a couple of standing orders so money bounces between the two accounts to simulate activity!!
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    The poster above is right, you all worry too much.

In the first week at Uni, you get people trying to sign you up to student accounts. They tell you if you have one already it doesn't matter and to lie about it. My friend did this last year, he had an HSBC and Natwest and got £55 from Natwest for putting in some money and the free rail card. Grand total of £145 for nothing.

It pays to lie!

- Adam

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.