The Student Room Group

Does anyone know the route to become a nurse practitioner?

Hi,
I was just wondering if theres any particular route to becoming an advanced nurse practitioner or nurse practitioner/ emergency care practitioner?

I live in the NE and have noticed Teeside do an advanced nurse practitioner course. I was wondering if you need a masters? and what this is in? or if you can just do CPD modules to get the credits to equal a masters? Or if you actually need to complete an ANP course or if experience will be enough after 5-10 years?

Original post by Lysa90
Hi,
I was just wondering if theres any particular route to becoming an advanced nurse practitioner or nurse practitioner/ emergency care practitioner?

I live in the NE and have noticed Teeside do an advanced nurse practitioner course. I was wondering if you need a masters? and what this is in? or if you can just do CPD modules to get the credits to equal a masters? Or if you actually need to complete an ANP course or if experience will be enough after 5-10 years?

hi i just qualified from teesside in January. usually do pre-reg nursing, then first year of preceptorship, lot of people then do mentorship but you dont have too. then often start at a clinical skills course which they do at teesside however is very over subscribed. this teaches you how to do assessments read xrays etc and then can do advanced nurse practitioner from there. with the clinical skills qualification you can be a practice nurse in GP or a&e from my knowledge and its then a masters in the advanced nurse practitioner. you dont have to do an ANP course but i suppose every little helps really. the clinical skills teaching you more ANP
makes sense?
Reply 2
Original post by xJessScott
hi i just qualified from teesside in January. usually do pre-reg nursing, then first year of preceptorship, lot of people then do mentorship but you dont have too. then often start at a clinical skills course which they do at teesside however is very over subscribed. this teaches you how to do assessments read xrays etc and then can do advanced nurse practitioner from there. with the clinical skills qualification you can be a practice nurse in GP or a&e from my knowledge and its then a masters in the advanced nurse practitioner. you dont have to do an ANP course but i suppose every little helps really. the clinical skills teaching you more ANP
makes sense?

Thanks for your help :smile: that does make sense but to clarify to become an ANP would you have to complete an actual ANP course such as Advanced Nurse Practitioner MSc (http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/advanced-nurse-practitioner-adult-child) (example) or just modules including the clinical skills?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Firstly, search the NHS jobs website and read the person specification for the nurse practitioner role, that should list the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required, this varies from trust to trust, so peruse a few. Secondly, peruse Linkedin for nurse practitioners', you can read the path they have undertaken to the aforementioned role.

Original post by Lysa90
Hi,

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Lysa90
Hi,

I'm in no way saying this is you, but many people are hearing the term "Nurse Practitioner" and like the sound of it without really understanding what NPs do, or in some cases, what nurses even do.

First I would gain an understanding of what a nurse does, and where a nurse works. From there you can gain interest in subspecialties and more senior/advanced nursing roles.

Usually Nurse Practitioners are Band 7 or 8. They are expected to have a masters degree or be willing to work towards that. They are experienced nurses who work autonomously within a specified area of practice. Their exact role depends what specialty they work in.
the wife is a qualified district nurse with 10 years of experience. she is doing the anp masters at rgu. she is really enjoying it. her two previous courses had been a struggle but this one is very practice related. dont opt for the quicker route most posts want the full masters. hers is 3 years part time.
While they will have similar elements, there are differences between an ANP and ENP and the routes you'd follow will differ depending on what you want to do. You've also got advanced critical care practitioners, again, you'd follow a different route into this role.

I've not been on TSR in months, but it seems this obsession with nurse practitioners is still held by people with limited experience of nursing, while it's great that people are ambitious, you need to learn to walk before you can run. Find a corner of nursing you like working in, get clinical experience under your belt and you'll find your career will develop over time.
Reply 7
Original post by Trapped
Firstly, search the NHS jobs website and read the person specification for the nurse practitioner role, that should list the qualifications, skills, experience and knowledge required, this varies from trust to trust, so peruse a few. Secondly, peruse Linkedin for nurse practitioners', you can read the path they have undertaken to the aforementioned role.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by PaediatricStN
I'm in no way saying this is you, but many people are hearing the term "Nurse Practitioner" and like the sound of it without really understanding what NPs do, or in some cases, what nurses even do.

First I would gain an understanding of what a nurse does, and where a nurse works. From there you can gain interest in subspecialties and more senior/advanced nursing roles.

Usually Nurse Practitioners are Band 7 or 8. They are expected to have a masters degree or be willing to work towards that. They are experienced nurses who work autonomously within a specified area of practice. Their exact role depends what specialty they work in.

Hi, thanks for your reply :smile:
My cousin is actually a NP at a WIC, but she's a fair bit older than me and has been doing it for a while, therefore she cannot help me as she didn't need a degree etc 'back in her day' haha.
I really think a nurse practitioner would be something I'm suited to and I'd love to be able to prescribe. I know it's often a role that requires experience and qualifications, but I'm unsure as to whether this is a specific MSc course or different modules that equal the credits for MSc.
Thank you for your reply though :smile: x
Reply 9
Original post by moonkatt
While they will have similar elements, there are differences between an ANP and ENP and the routes you'd follow will differ depending on what you want to do. You've also got advanced critical care practitioners, again, you'd follow a different route into this role.

I've not been on TSR in months, but it seems this obsession with nurse practitioners is still held by people with limited experience of nursing, while it's great that people are ambitious, you need to learn to walk before you can run. Find a corner of nursing you like working in, get clinical experience under your belt and you'll find your career will develop over time.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I understand that this role requires a lot of experience and in no way am I expecting to finish my degree and suddenly become a NP, however I do think it is important to have a goal. I think NPs are important and will probably be developing even more in the future. They already take a lot of pressure away from doctors (in my experience anyway) so I think it is a good ambition to have. I have found an area in which I would like to work (outpatients), but I'm still not sure how you would progress to become an NP from this area of work.
anp/enp will become a masters course. at the moment there are multiple levels of training. remember its not recognized by the nmc yet.
Original post by paulbarlow
anp/enp will become a masters course. at the moment there are multiple levels of training. remember its not recognized by the nmc yet.

Why is it not recognised by the nmc? are there particular reasons for that?
yes its role is still evolving.
Original post by PaediatricStN

The title of Nurse Practitioner isn't even regulated like it is in North America, the NMC does not have a NP registration status...

I heard from a nurse prescriber that there are rumours that by 2020 the NMC is aiming to make degree courses for it- similar to the ones in the N.America
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by comebackseason
The title of Nurse Practitioner isn't even regulated like it is in North America, the NMC does not have a NP registration status...

I heard from a nurse prescriber that there are rumours that by 2020 the NMC is aiming to make degree courses for it- similar to the ones in the N.America

I'm aware of the regulation status of the NP role although this does not really relate to the original question, or affect the OP as it may well be regulated by the time they approach an NP role.

If/when regulated I doubt the role will change much. An NP role can vary so much that it would be impossible to regulate each and every one. I suspect there will just be separate generic standards to adhere to.
Reply 15
There are actually ANP degrees you can do at many universities now and if you look at them many explain how they adhere and use guidance of thus NMC- most of the unis offer 1 year full time or 3 years part time and once you have the degree (which equates to a masters) then you are band 7/8 but you don’t actually need to be band 7/8 to become one- just try get things like your mentor ship and nurse prescribing and do other things like phlebby and male catheterisation to really boost your chances of being noticed :smile: I’m training to be a nurse at atm and looking to eventually become a nurse practitioner too :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
The title Nurse Practitioner isn't regulated here the way it is in the USA/Canada. I work for the NHS and have met nurses who were band 5's and got hired onto my ward and then were trained up doing small hospital based education modules to be "nurse practitioners".

While in North America there is a standardised route to becoming a NP, you must do a nursing degree have experience and then apply to a master's of nursing program in order to become a NP.

I believe they are phasing this into the UK soon, but as of now the NMC don't have a separate registration status of NPs which I believe they should.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending