OCR AL English Literature (New): H472/1 & H472/2 - 15 & 22 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

Neddie001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Looked on the thread and I could find ones for AQA and Edexcel but not OCR.... so it is here tah-dah!
I thought we could share ideas, notes, thoughts etc.
For set texts I am doing:
- Shakespeare - The Tempest
- Gothic - The Bloody Chamber and Frankenstein
- Drama pre 1900 - Webster's The Duchess of Malfi
- Poetry pre 1900 - Chaucer's The Merchant's Tale (yuck)
For my coursework, I did Alan Bennett's The History Boys for close reading and Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca and Thomas Hardy's Collection of poems for my comparative piece

Share your thoughts?
username2015015
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! The only text we have in common is Duchess of Malfi, I'm doing Measure for Measure, Paradise Lost, Grapes of Wrath and Great Gatsby! I'm really struggling with Malfi though, how are you finding it?
Neddie001
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by blue2337)
Hey! The only text we have in common is Duchess of Malfi, I'm doing Measure for Measure, Paradise Lost, Grapes of Wrath and Great Gatsby! I'm really struggling with Malfi though, how are you finding it?
I think because I am doing it with Chaucer I really enjoy it. I can think of great lines of arguments for essays for Webster but then found it annoying when I have to relate it to Chaucer. Malfi only really has like 5-ish themes I can relate to Chaucer - corruption, power, women and religion

Ps. Paradise lost looks like a killer
OddFuturez
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Studying the same texts as you bar Tempest, doing Hamlet instead.
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nice exam thread! I've added it to the exam thread list which you can find here
thepurplerain
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing The Tempest and The Bloody Chamber as well
banterisbanter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Neddie001)
I think because I am doing it with Chaucer I really enjoy it. I can think of great lines of arguments for essays for Webster but then found it annoying when I have to relate it to Chaucer. Malfi only really has like 5-ish themes I can relate to Chaucer - corruption, power, women and religion

Ps. Paradise lost looks like a killer
i need some help on merchants take, it's a killer 😩
LisaHd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys how did everyone do on their coursework?? I think I underperformed and don't know if the grade boundaries will allow me an A overall...
OddFuturez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LisaHd)
Hey guys how did everyone do on their coursework?? I think I underperformed and don't know if the grade boundaries will allow me an A overall...
I got 29/40 which is bad I guess
username2015015
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does anyone have any good Duchess of Malfi notes which they can PM me? I'd super appreciate it xx
em00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Looked on the thread and I could find ones for AQA and Edexcel but not OCR.... so it is here tah-dah!
For my coursework, I did Alan Bennett's The History Boys for close reading and Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca and Thomas Hardy's Collection of poems for my comparative piece

Share your thoughts?
I'm doing The Tempest too, how are you feeling about the section A of the exam? I'm kinda worried about analysing Shakespeare's language...particularly if the masque scene is used for the extract.
thepurplerain
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by em00)
I'm doing The Tempest too, how are you feeling about the section A of the exam? I'm kinda worried about analysing Shakespeare's language...particularly if the masque scene is used for the extract.
That's like my worst nightmare as well, the masque is probably the part I am least prepared to analyse and relate back to the play as a whole
em00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by thepurplerain)
That's like my worst nightmare as well, the masque is probably the part I am least prepared to analyse and relate back to the play as a whole
Im trying to remember all the goddess's right now so i could try to link it back to themes in the play but its difficult. Im hoping because we are the first year they will go easy on us and give us a scene related to Caliban or Prospero
OddFuturez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Frankenstein notes pleaseeee
Lawhopeful2017
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys - Paper 1 is tomorrow 9am - how do we feel? Any predictions?

i'm doing

Duchess of Malfi
The Merchant's Tale
The Bloody Chamber
Dracula
The Tempest

Anyone want to trade notes?

Also I got 100% in my coursework - is that normal? what did other people get? I've never done coursework before so idk if it's one of those things where everyone gets 100% or not...? thanks
englishabc789
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
as we get a choice of 6 questions then surely for the comparative question then you just need to revise one or two key themes?
hoticedtea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys here is another link to another OCR English Lit chat!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4664338
txo298
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Lawhopeful2017)

i'm doing

Duchess of Malfi
The Merchant's Tale
The Bloody Chamber
Dracula
The Tempest

Also I got 100% in my coursework - is that normal? what did other people get? I've never done coursework before so idk if it's one of those things where everyone gets 100% or not...? thanks
Hey i'm in year 13 could you possibly send me ur malfi, chaucer and the tempest notes please? my teacher is literally awful so i have nothing would be SO SO SO SO appreciated
txo298
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Share your thoughts?
Hey is there any chance you could share your notes for Malfi and Chaucer with me as I’m struggling so bad
txo298
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Lawhopeful2017)

i'm doing

Duchess of Malfi
The Merchant's Tale
The Bloody Chamber
Dracula
The Tempest

PLEASE could you share your notes for Malfi and Chaucer with me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise