Neurotransmitters? Is Noradrenaline the primary neurotransmitter for the sympathetic?

Watch
TheAlphaParticle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is Noradrenaline the primary neurotransmitter for the sympathetic nervous system?? Isn't noradrenaline an inhibitory neurotransmitter, so isn't the fact that the sympathetic nervous system (which aids physical activity) uses it a bit counterintuitive
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheAlphaParticle)
Is Noradrenaline the primary neurotransmitter for the sympathetic nervous system?? Isn't noradrenaline an inhibitory neurotransmitter, so isn't the fact that the sympathetic nervous system (which aids physical activity) a bit counterintuitive
I think it depends on location in the body "The general function of norepinephrine is to mobilize the brain and body for action. Norepinephrine release is lowest during sleep, rises during wakefulness, and reaches much higher levels during situations of stress or danger, in the so-called fight-or-flight response. In the brain, norepinephrine increases arousal and alertness, promotes vigilance, enhances formation and retrieval of memory, and focuses attention; it also increases restlessness and anxiety. In the rest of the body, norepinephrine increases heart rate and blood pressure, triggers the release of glucose from energy stores, increases blood flow to skeletal muscle, reduces blood flow to the gastrointestinal system, and inhibits voiding of the bladder and gastrointestinal motility."

so it can be inhibitory in digestive system but is predominantly excitatory- fight or flight- just how acetylcholine is predominantly inhibitory but can stimulate digestive system-rest and digest
TheAlphaParticle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
I think it depends on location in the body "The general function of norepinephrine is to mobilize the brain and body for action. Norepinephrine release is lowest during sleep, rises during wakefulness, and reaches much higher levels during situations of stress or danger, in the so-called fight-or-flight response. In the brain, norepinephrine increases arousal and alertness, promotes vigilance, enhances formation and retrieval of memory, and focuses attention; it also increases restlessness and anxiety. In the rest of the body, norepinephrine increases heart rate and blood pressure, triggers the release of glucose from energy stores, increases blood flow to skeletal muscle, reduces blood flow to the gastrointestinal system, and inhibits voiding of the bladder and gastrointestinal motility."

so it can be inhibitory in digestive system but is predominantly excitatory- fight or flight- just how acetylcholine is predominantly inhibitory but can stimulate digestive system-rest and digest
Thanks a lot for this, was really confused before
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (92)
4.97%
Uncertainty around my education (280)
15.14%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (198)
10.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (260)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (82)
4.43%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (107)
5.78%
Loneliness (160)
8.65%
Financial worries (66)
3.57%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (81)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (88)
4.76%
Lack of real life entertainment (102)
5.51%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (161)
8.7%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (173)
9.35%

Watched Threads