The Student Room Group

Economic students should I pick economics A-level

Please help me with this:
I want to do economics as a 4th A level with
Maths, Further Maths and physics being options 1,2,3
Do you think it's a good choice and can you economic students tell me some positives and negatives?
Thank you in advance

Background info:
Predicted GCSE Grades
English: 5 (5 = C+/B-)
English lit: 5
Maths: 8 (8= A*)
Further Maths: A*
Science: A (Already did my GCSE in year 10)
Additional Science: A*
Spanish: C
Geography: A
Computer Science: A
Graphics: B
RS: B

Scroll to see replies

I'm not taking econ but my mum teaches it and I know some of the material :smile: If you're applying for a maths/physics-based degree, it's a good fourth option since it requires a combination of analytical skills and essay-writing and so it adds versatility while still complementing maths and physics. Being good at maths as you clearly are will help you conceptualise some ideas in economics, but apart from lots of graphs/diagrams and a little bit of basic calculus there isn't that much maths in A-level econ; being verbally competent and understanding society is just as important. If you're not a fan of/not confident with essays, taking it may not be the best idea (perhaps do chemistry instead in that case).
Reply 2
Original post by Sonechka
I'm not taking econ but my mum teaches it and I know some of the material :smile: If you're applying for a maths/physics-based degree, it's a good fourth option since it requires a combination of analytical skills and essay-writing and so it adds versatility while still complementing maths and physics. Being good at maths as you clearly are will help you conceptualise some ideas in economics, but apart from lots of graphs/diagrams and a little bit of basic calculus there isn't that much maths in A-level econ; being verbally competent and understanding society is just as important. If you're not a fan of/not confident with essays, taking it may not be the best idea (perhaps do chemistry instead in that case).

Thanks for the response I don't really mind doing essays. I've been told it's not a good choice as my English grades aren't the best due to the amount of written work. Does it matter my English grades are low I'm quite good analyzing data and all that.
Original post by Balkaran
Thanks for the response I don't really mind doing essays. Wel been told it's not a good choice as my English grades aren't the best due to the amount of written work. Does it matter my English grades are low I'm quite good analyzing data and all that.

Well no one's going to ask you to analyse the use of anthropomorphism to express social critique or whatever in an econ essay, but if the amount of written work is the problem...there is quite a heavy essay workload in A-level economics (and you won't get anything like problem sets as homework or in exams, you'll pretty much just get essays) and you'll need to be able to write fairly well so that you can express your conclusions. That said, if you're interested in the subject matter and good with data, the essays will probably come more naturally to you. Have you looked at the syllabus topics? Do you think you'd enjoy writing lots about them?
Reply 4
Well no one's going to ask you to analyse the use of anthropomorphism to express social critique or whatever in an econ essay, but if the amount of written work is the problem...there is quite a heavy essay workload in A-level economics (and you won't get anything like problem sets as homework or in exams, you'll pretty much just get essays) and you'll need to be able to write fairly well so that you can express your conclusions. That said, if you're interested in the subject matter and good with data, the essays will probably come more naturally to you. Have you looked at the syllabus topics? Do you think you'd enjoy writing lots about them?

I feel as if i would write essays in that sort of manner quite well.

For geography there is a paper worth 25% of your final grade called the SDME paper. It is about analyzing data and answering questions based on the data analysed. 24 marks is analyzing data. The other 16 marks of the paper is a final 16 mark question where they give you options and you have to state advantages, disadvantages for each option and write a conclusion which you thought was the best. I got 40/40 for that paper in the mocks (my teacher is a really strict marker so I was surprised).

Would you say economics essays are similar to that. Obviously economic essays will be longer but are the skills required similar.
I feel as if i would write essays in that sort of manner quite well.

For geography there is a paper worth 25% of your final grade called the SDME paper. It is about analyzing data and answering questions based on the data analysed. 24 marks is analyzing data. The other 16 marks of the paper is a final 16 mark question where they give you options and you have to state advantages, disadvantages for each option and write a conclusion which you thought was the best. I got 40/40 for that paper in the mocks (my teacher is a really strict marker so I was surprised).

Would you say economics essays are similar to that. Obviously economic essays will be longer but are the skills required similar.

The skills are definitely similar; there isn't as much explicit data analysis but I guess econ is similar to geography in that the essays will involve drawing on facts, theories and examples which you'll have learnt about in class to explain a trend, weigh up a statement or suggest a solution to a problem. I think you'll be fine based on this, but you'll have to make sure you're totally confident with structuring essays clearly and phrasing your arguments well. Maybe it'd be a good idea to look at some past questions and speak to the econ department at your school.
Reply 6
The skills are definitely similar; there isn't as much explicit data analysis but I guess econ is similar to geography in that the essays will involve drawing on facts, theories and examples which you'll have learnt about in class to explain a trend, weigh up a statement or suggest a solution to a problem. I think you'll be fine based on this, but you'll have to make sure you're totally confident with structuring essays clearly and phrasing your arguments well. Maybe it'd be a good idea to look at some past questions and speak to the econ department at your school.

Thanks for all the help it means a lot that you took the time to help me out with this situation.
Reply 7
Yeah, it makes university (especially first year) a lot easier. If you know that's what you want to do go for it.
i do economics maths and classics currently and im gonna be honest economics isnt that bad. There are however tons of diagrams to memorise which makes it a pain but because the subject is entirely theoretical as long as you learn/keep on top of vocab you should be fine. and the exam papers are quite chilled too when you know your knowledge.
its a pretty good a level to have so go for it
Economics has more to do with Geography and history than business and economics. Business is like a wee game you make up in the playground geographical location plays more part in the GdP of a country and island will always have a small GDP because who wants to live or work their? I would say Geography is probably more important.

The UKs an exception it has all the ports and is the centre of the Economic world and has good weather all year round. seriously don't do business do Geography or history.

Australia has a low GDP because it's tropical and has loads of killer animals and then Japan's good, good weather it's got ports and mountains, Russia's a bit cold on one half and ehh Germany is perfect for Europe. Germany has all four seasons all year round and a phenomenal amount of money. It 's the perfect country.

That sounds a bit nicer than business?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
DO NOT TAKE THINKING IT WILL BE MATHS!. Absolutely ridiculous to think you need further maths to do it economics at lse yet theres almost no maths in a level. Majority essay writing!
nah i was similar to you i was A* at maths and science GCSE but worked at a B in english and i chose economics and regretted it - its just essay technique, doing well in it comes down to evaluating decisions aka giving pros and cons to everything you say so if that appeals to you its your kinda subject otherwise i wouldn't go for it
Reply 12
There is significantly more maths in the course at university. A lot of it isn't part of the economics modules but you have to do maths/econometrics modules which is why I think further maths is useful if you want to go to a top uni. You can still get into a very good uni without further maths, I just thinks it puts you at an advantage as it shows that you are a cut above the rest.
Reply 13
Original post by Lolort
DO NOT TAKE THINKING IT WILL BE MATHS!. Absolutely ridiculous to think you need further maths to do it economics at lse yet theres almost no maths in a level. Majority essay writing!

Yeah I know it is an Essay course but I think I'll be able to do it as I've improved my grades in English. This may sound surprising but now for English lit i'm predicted a 7 and for English Language a 7. But my teacher feels as if I could get an 8 in lit. I put in a lot of effort so I think I'll be good at it.

A grade 7 is an A.
Reply 14
Original post by whereuatleeds
nah i was similar to you i was A* at maths and science GCSE but worked at a B in english and i chose economics and regretted it - its just essay technique, doing well in it comes down to evaluating decisions aka giving pros and cons to everything you say so if that appeals to you its your kinda subject otherwise i wouldn't go for it

I do geography and one the papers which is worth 25% of your gradeis about decision making and analyzing data. 24 marks is analyzing data and the other 16 is about deciding which is the best option out of 3 for a problem stating both pros and cons. I got 40/40 in the mock and in the real GCSE paper we did I think I did really good.
Yeah I know it is an Essay course but I think I'll be able to do it as I've improved my grades in English. This may sound surprising but now for English lit i'm predicted a 7 and for English Language a 7. But my teacher feels as if I could get an 8 in lit. I put in a lot of effort so I think I'll be good at it.

A grade 7 is an A.

Yes, that's good then and you should be good for Economics. Economics isn't really what i'd describe as a traditional essay subject, you dont write pages and pages. Rather it is about writing in depth concisely and in limited time. Are you able to come up with good clever points under time pressure? Can you write concisely? Can you use english techniques like connectives, sentence starters etc etc? Are you good at structuring?

These are what you need to think to yourself.
Reply 16
Original post by truthteller0110
Yes, that's good then and you should be good for Economics. Economics isn't really what i'd describe as a traditional essay subject, you dont write pages and pages. Rather it is about writing in depth concisely and in limited time. Are you able to come up with good clever points under time pressure? Can you write concisely? Can you use english techniques like connectives, sentence starters etc etc? Are you good at structuring?

These are what you need to think to yourself.

Yeah I feel as if I'm concise when making points. I try not 'waffle'. I follow a clear structure. Also, I try to write the least amount possible to get my point across (probably because I'm lazy). I think I could come up with clever points but I'm not sure as I've not had too much experience with that. I made good points in my literature exam I think.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Can you write quickly, you'll need to be able to do that :P
Yeah I feel as if I'm concise when making points. I try not 'waffle'. I follow a clear structure. Also, I try to write the least amount possible to get my point across (probably because I'm lazy).

Yes, that's good too then. Economics is however a completely different style, it focuses on skills that you've not got experience of unless you did GCSE economics.

You seem to always flatter yourself though. If you were as good as you claim you are you wouldnt be asking. Be honest with yourself and pin down your weaknesses but for now economics a level is well within your stride.

Quick Reply

Latest