The Student Room Group

Economic students should I pick economics A-level

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MattB_
Can you write quickly, you'll need to be able to do that :P

Yeah I normally finish all my exams with at least 15 minutes to spare.
Reply 21
Original post by truthteller0110
Yes, that's good too then. Economics is however a completely different style, it focuses on skills that you've not got experience of unless you did GCSE economics.

You seem to always flatter yourself though. If you were as good as you claim you are you wouldnt be asking. Be honest with yourself and pin down your weaknesses but for now economics a level is well within your stride.

The reason I asked is because I had no idea what economics was about. I heard it was an easy essay A level from friends in my year. So i wanted to see from students who actually are gonna do it. Also at the time I wasn't too good with writing essays because I didn't know the structure but my English teacher helped me and that's why my grade improved. I had ideas but they were poorly written but with practice I've improved majorly from getting barely a 5 to getting a 7 maybe an 8.
Original post by Balkaran
The reason I asked is because I had no idea what economics was about. I heard it was an easy essay A level from friends in my year. So i wanted to see from students who actually are gonna do it. Also at the time I wasn't too good with writing essays because I didn't know the structure but my English teacher helped me and that's why my grade improved. I had ideas but they were poorly written but with practice I've improved majorly from getting barely a 5 to getting a 7 maybe an 8.

The content is fairly straight forward as long as you pay attention and clear doubts earlier. It all sorts of fall in to place and you seem like a smart kid so that shouldnt be a problem.

Your english isnt going to be indicative of how well you do at a level, though if you're an A grader now then you should be fine with economics a level.

The subject is about a) reading comprehension skills, being able to look at a text and apply the real life scenario to economic theory, b) making good concise points under time pressure and c) exam technique, more specifically can you write in a way where you dont assume anything and explain things step by step as if the marker is a dummy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending