The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The media do not portray Iran as being "backwards" as far as I'm aware?
ameeeeeeeeen
:teehee:
Reply 5
i think the part the west regards as 'backwards' is when Iran hangs gays
Iran away from all this sort of news tbh.
Original post by Sarahsez
In terms of scientific publications and research & development, Iran is far better than other muslim nations

Where it really matters, Iran is far ahead of other muslim countries, even with all the sanctions and the theocratic regime. In Iran, 60% of students and 75% of STEM students are female (more than any other country in the world) and close to 20% workforce integration. Women also have near 100% literacy rate.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/amyguttman/2015/12/09/set-to-take-over-tech-70-of-irans-science-and-engineering-students-are-women/amp/

Yeah, need scientists for dem nukes.
Reply 8
The rate of females attending universities has nothing to do with what their theocratic laws deem as "lawful"

For example, executing people rumoured to be Homosexual, or stoning of women who are said to be adulterous.
Those stonings and public hangings though...
Original post by JamesN88
Those stonings and public hangings though...

Stonings are pretty rare. 1 stoning is still too many, but official stonings are very few and far between. I imagine the unofficial number is probably higher...
Reply 11
Pesia was a cradle of science in ancient times. Persian scientists contributed to the current understanding of nature, medicine, mathematics, and philosophy. Persians made important contributions to algebra and chemistry, invented the wind-power machine, and the first distillation of alcohol. Trying to revive the golden time of Persian science, Iran’s scientists cautiously reach out to the world. Many individual Iranian scientists, along with the Iranian Academy of Medical Sciences and Academy of Sciences of Iran, are involved in this revival. Iran is an example of a country that has made considerable advances through education and training, despite international sanctions in almost all aspects of research during the past 30 years. Iran’s university population swelled from 100,000 in 1979 to 2 million in 2006. Seventy percent of its science and engineering students are women. Science in Persia evolved in two main phases separated by the arrival and widespread adoption of Islam in the region. Many of the today’s concepts in Science including Helio-Centric model of solar system, finite speed of light, and gravity were first proposed by Persian scientists.
Pesia was a cradle of science in ancient times. Persian scientists contributed to the current understanding of nature, medicine, mathematics, and philosophy. Persians made important contributions to algebra and chemistry, invented the wind-power machine, and the first distillation of alcohol. Trying to revive the golden time of Persian science, Iran’s scientists cautiously reach out to the world. Many individual Iranian scientists, along with the Iranian Academy of Medical Sciences and Academy of Sciences of Iran, are involved in this revival. Iran is an example of a country that has made considerable advances through education and training, despite international sanctions in almost all aspects of research during the past 30 years. Iran’s university population swelled from 100,000 in 1979 to 2 million in 2006. Seventy percent of its science and engineering students are women. Science in Persia evolved in two main phases separated by the arrival and widespread adoption of Islam in the region. Many of the today’s concepts in Science including Helio-Centric model of solar system, finite speed of light, and gravity were first proposed by Persian scientists.

Well, if thats the case we can forgive them hanging the odd gay now and again...

Surely supposed past achievements trump current atrocities, right?
In terms of scientific publications and research & development, Iran is far better than other muslim nations

Where it really matters, Iran is far ahead of other muslim countries, even with all the sanctions and the theocratic regime. In Iran, 60% of students and 75% of STEM students are female (more than any other country in the world) and close to 20% workforce integration. Women also have near 100% literacy rate.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/amyguttman/2015/12/09/set-to-take-over-tech-70-of-irans-science-and-engineering-students-are-women/amp/

Iran isn't backwards, but it's far from what is used to be; believe a hefty portion of maths comes from there
I wonder how the Iranian government feel about being dictated to by the U.S about their nuclear program.
Western media portrays everything that isn't Western Europe or America as backwards tbfh and people end up with these incredibly misconceptions that living in a place like Iran, or Russia etc. is like living in North Korea when it really isn't.
The media doesn't talk nearly enough about Iranian society, the regime is extremely backwards but no mention is made of the people who are often progressive and well educated.

Original post by Bristol Ummah
Israel has regularly criticised Irans nuclear ambitions despite their own arsenal being the worlds largest. Dont expect the mainstream media to report the reality over where the real imperial power lies.

There is no need to be afraid of the big, powerful Israeli missile.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
Western media portrays everything that isn't Western Europe or America as backwards tbfh and people end up with these incredibly misconceptions that living in a place like Iran, or Russia etc. is like living in North Korea when it really isn't.

No it doesn't. Western media totally fetishises foreign counties, even ones which are completely messed up and denies just how bad the situation is in many of them. I once read an article on either BBC news or the Guardian which presented Mirpur in a positive light saying how much its connections which the UK have made it prosperous. I've never pissed myself with laughter so much.
Original post by l'etranger
No it doesn't. Western media totally fetishises foreign counties, even ones which are completely messed up and denies just how bad the situation is in many of them. I once read an article on either BBC news or the Guardian which presented Mirpur in a positive light saying how much its connections which the UK have made it prosperous. I've never pissed myself with laughter so much.

> Western Media
> Picks two clearly left-wing bias newspapers as examples

Riiightt so I suppose that the absolute plethora of people who have misconceptions over countries like Iran have somehow just formed them by themselves with absolutely no media influence. You can selectively pick and choose examples of 'fetishising' all you want, but on the whole Western Media is nothing but bias against foreign countries and greatly misleads people into thinking anywhere outside of Western Europe is in an absolute state of anarchy.
They are not portraying it as backwards.

They are portraying it as it is.

And we just happen to think that that is a backwards shithole.

Latest