Turn on thread page Beta

AS Biology: I'm dropping it but should i resit an AS module to boost my grade? watch

ReputationRep:
    In my AS biology i got 236/300 (4 marks from an A) with the following module marks:

Foundation: 77/90
    HH&D: 72/90
    Transport: 87/120

I expected to get a B but now i'm thinking i would love an A in my AS, so i am considering resitting Transport in January, even though i am not continuing the subject. I have a few questions:

1) Would i be able to carry my coursework marks from the Trans module forward to January, so i would just have to resit the Trans exam?

2) Is there any point? I mean, i would really love an A. Also, i think it would be possible because there isn't much to learn for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    In my AS biology i got 236/300 (4 marks from an A) with the following module marks:

Foundation: 77/90
    HH&D: 72/90
    Transport: 87/120

I expected to get a B but now i'm thinking i would love an A in my AS, so i am considering resitting Transport in January, even though i am not continuing the subject. I have a few questions:

1) Would i be able to carry my coursework marks from the Trans module forward to January, so i would just have to resit the Trans exam?

2) Is there any point? I mean, i would really love an A. Also, i think it would be possible because there isn't much to learn for the exam.
    1) I might be wrong but I don't think you can carry your coursework marks forward

2) Well, why not? If you *do* have to redo your coursework it will be a lot of extra work, but if you really want to get an A and you think you could manage the extra work I don't see why you couldn't. The coursework might hinder you a lot though... If you were only 4 marks from an A, though, you might be able to pull it up by resitting one of the other papers...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    1) I might be wrong but I don't think you can carry your coursework marks forward

2) Well, why not? If you *do* have to redo your coursework it will be a lot of extra work, but if you really want to get an A and you think you could manage the extra work I don't see why you couldn't. The coursework might hinder you a lot though... If you were only 4 marks from an A, though, you might be able to pull it up by resitting one of the other papers...?
    I really wouldn't like to resit either of the other two modules because there is loads to learn for both!

ReputationRep:
    After the first year I ended up with a C in my AS Chem (and I know this doesn't sound related but might be!). I went on to do A2 but decided I couldn't really cope with doing it along with everything else so I decided to drop it after January. Even though it had been a while I resat 2 of the 3 modules (coursework carried forwards) and ended up with an A in the AS at the end of it (mind, coming back to a Chem exam after months was a bit of a shock!). It might be worth a shot since you have little to lose and an A even at AS does look good.

ReputationRep:
    Yay, the spec says:

"If a candidate retakes Unit 2803 and/or Unit 2806 within 12 months, they have the opportunity to carry forward the mark for the coursework component (Component 02)."

That's good because i got 24/30 (converted to 48/60) on the coursework and couldn't face redoing it!

ReputationRep:
    Resit transport and carry your coursework marks forward. Some of my friends did this. Your coursework mark could be improved further as you just scrapped an A but it's up to you.
    I wouldn't resit HHD as this is quite tough and transport isn't too hard (at least not the exam I sat). You can easily gain 2 marks or so on Transport (it's out of 45 isn't it). Ask your teacher what raw mark you got on Transport.

ReputationRep:
    Can you do retakes of modules on subjects if you drop them? I thought the whole cashing in thing got in the way. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Yay, the spec says:

"If a candidate retakes Unit 2803 and/or Unit 2806 within 12 months, they have the opportunity to carry forward the mark for the coursework component (Component 02)."

That's good because i got 24/30 (converted to 48/60) on the coursework and couldn't face redoing it!
    Great stuff! Go for it then!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Can you do retakes of modules on subjects if you drop them? I thought the whole cashing in thing got in the way. :confused:
    You don't have to cash them in straight away. My school didn't cash in any grades until everyone had their A2 results, meaning people could resit the ASs they'd dropped in January or the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark123)
    Resit transport and carry your coursework marks forward. Some of my friends did this. Your coursework mark could be improved further as you just scrapped an A but it's up to you.
    I wouldn't resit HHD as this is quite tough and transport isn't too hard (at least not the exam I sat). You can easily gain 2 marks or so on Transport (it's out of 45 isn't it). Ask your teacher what raw mark you got on Transport.
    Thanks, good advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    You don't have to cash them in straight away. My school didn't cash in any grades until everyone had their A2 results, meaning people could resit the ASs they'd dropped in January or the summer.
    Ah ok, I think my school makes me cash all my grades in. Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Ah ok, I think my school makes me cash all my grades in. Hmm.
    same here

ReputationRep:
    If i don't cash in then does that mean that i can't write it on my UCAS form? I want to cash in 3 subjects (geog, g/s and socio) but i want to resit 1 bio and one Eng module. It would look like i'd only done 2 proper subjects :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    If you are dropping Bio for AS but want to re-sit one to get the A, you can't cash Bio in until you do the re-sit.

However Sian, you are taking English to A2, so you can cash that in and show them your A Grade in that, but your better score in the 1 module (hopefully) will count towards the overall A-Level grade in the end with the 6 modules.
    Thanks - very well explained!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Thanks - very well explained!
    However, if your school automatically cashes them in for you, you will need to unclaim the Biology as soon as you go back to school with your exams officer. otherwise you will have to resit the WHOLE 3 modules again rather than just the one you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    However, if your school automatically cashes them in for you, you will need to unclaim the Biology as soon as you go back to school with your exams officer. otherwise you will have to resit the WHOLE 3 modules again rather than just the one you want.
    My school lets us choose which ones to cash in etc, so there's no problem there

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the same...i was one ums(damn it!!) off an A in a/s biology...completely unexpected. but i think i'll drop it, as i have A's in all my other three subjects...so is there any point relearning a whole module for 1ums?!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.