The Student Room Group

British "Syria Fighter" Josh Walker accused of terror offences

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39758298

"A British man who allegedly fought against so-called Islamic State in Syria has been accused of terror offences. Josh Walker, from Bristol, is charged under Section 58 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

Mr Walker, aged 26, who lives in Aberystwyth, is due before Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday, South Wales Police said. He was arrested at Gatwick Airport by counter terror officers, last December.

He had returned to the UK on 29 December and was detained at the airport by the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit. The charge is "collecting or making a record of information that is of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism"."

How do we feel about British citizens travelling to Syria to take part in fighting against ISIS? Should it be allowed or not?

I wonder how long his sentence will be.
Why on earth is he being arrested?
Original post by Conceited
Why on earth is he being arrested?

Isn't it classed as vigilantism?
The "rebels" are still terrorists.
Original post by Meany Pie

But they're sponsored by the UK and US governments. Are you admitting that the UK and US government sponsor terrorists :K:
Reply 5
I think if someone wants to fight, they should fight for their country, not a foreign group. He had good intentions I'm sure but he shouldn't have done it.
Original post by AishaGirl
But they're sponsored by the UK and US governments. Are you admitting that the UK and US government sponsor terrorists :K:

Yes.

I am vehemently against supporting any rebel factions. Time and time again the west arm these so called moderates only for them to turn on us.

We need to stay out of other peoples' wars. We are not the world police.

Yes.

I am vehemently against supporting any rebel factions. Time and time again the west arm these so called moderates only for them to turn on us.

We need to stay out of other peoples' wars. We are not the world police.

This guy was fighting with the Kurdish YPG, not the rebels. The YPG certainly are moderate and have probably the best human rights record of any faction in Syria. They are not an Islamist or jihadist group; there is absolutely no chance of them turning on us.
The Bristol Post is at least 70% fake news. All these terrorists seem to be non asian converts; as usual an MI5 hoax.

Our media is owned by zionist freemasons
Original post by RF_PineMarten
This guy was fighting with the Kurdish YPG, not the rebels. The YPG certainly are moderate and have probably the best human rights record of any faction in Syria. They are not an Islamist or jihadist group; there is absolutely no chance of them turning on us.

I don't think that is the concern, I think the problem is he is taking part in a civil war which is illegal? Or is it not actually illegal?

Where does it say he was fighting with the YPG? Besides the YPG are aligned to the PKK who are a terrorist group. They conduct regular terrorist attacks in Turkey.
Original post by AishaGirl
I don't think that is the concern, I think the problem is he is taking part in a civil war which is illegal? Or is it not actually illegal?

Where does it say he was fighting with the YPG? Besides the YPG are aligned to the PKK who are a terrorist group. They conduct regular terrorist attacks in Turkey.

The YPG thing I got from googling, as this article didn't mention it. It isn't actually illegal for British people to go and fight for them as far as I'm aware, as the YPG isn't considered a terrorist organisation by Britain and we're not at war with them. In fact we're providing support to them. Other British people have fought and continue to fight for the YPG and they haven't run into this problem, besides maybe being questioned at the airport just as a precaution.

The YPG have some ideological links to the PKK, but they are a separate organisation, and the YPG have kept to Syria and never launched terrorist attacks inside Turkey. Turkey views the YPG as a terrorist group, most western countries don't.

Some European countries actually make it illegal for their citizens to go and fight in a foreign war like this at all, regardless of what side they fight on. But Britain isn't one of them.
(edited 6 years ago)

The YPG have some ideological links to the PKK, but they are a separate organisation, and the YPG have kept to Syria and never launched terrorist attacks inside Turkey. Turkey views the YPG as a terrorist group, most western countries don't.

Some ideological links? Several high ranking PKK members also run the show in the YPG, not to mention they're both under the KCK parent organisation.

America listed the YPG as a terror group until 2013 / 2014 when they realised they could use them to fight ISIS.
Original post by Muwahid-
America listed the YPG as a terror group until 2013 / 2014 when they realised they could use them to fight ISIS.

As far as I'm aware, and from what I can find, the YPG itself has never been listed as a terror group by the US, only the PKK.
Do you do Government and politics for a levels?
As far as I'm aware, and from what I can find, the YPG itself has never been listed as a terror group by the US, only the PKK.

Sorry I seem to be wrong on that point.

My other points still stand though.
Original post by Trapz99
I think if someone wants to fight, they should fight for their country,

Like Assad's fighters?

Quick Reply

Latest