The Student Room Group

Things you wish you knew before attending uni

Dont pay for societies at the beginning
Dont annoy professors with dumb emails
See the professors in the office more
The library sucks

Scroll to see replies

Don't switch off because the first term is too easy, much of my first term was a bit of a run through of A level to get people up to scratch but I just stopped turning up after the first few weeks because it was so dull but when I did decide to turn up again, things were definitely a bit tougher.
If you have doubts about the coursework or assignment, do not ask the classmates. Just talk with the lecturer.
Reply 3
Original post by Dinasaurus
Don't switch off because the first term is too easy, much of my first term was a bit of a run through of A level to get people up to scratch but I just stopped turning up after the first few weeks because it was so dull but when I did decide to turn up again, things were definitely a bit tougher.

Lol for maths they ramp up the difficulty straight away
I still get nightmares from first seeing the definition of a limit :scared:
(edited 6 years ago)
Powerade is great for hangovers.
That uni just sucks lol
Reply 6
Original post by emerald7770
That uni just sucks lol

Why do u say that most people say uni was their glory days
Original post by Dead Inside
Why do u say that most people say uni was their glory days

im joking im not even in uni lol but i think people say that about high or primary school
Lol for maths they ramp up the difficulty straight away
I still get nightmares from first seeing the definition of a limit :scared:

For Biology, a lot of the first 2 weeks was catching up on like post-GCSE maths and chemistry as not everyone had done those at A level but because I did I found it all pretty simple. I think Biology isn't really that difficult anyway just you need an insane memory to know it all.
Reply 9
Dont pay for societies at the beginning
Dont annoy professors with dumb emails
See the professors in the office more
The library sucks

Why not pay for societies? Isn't that the only way you can join?
Original post by Dinasaurus
For Biology, a lot of the first 2 weeks was catching up on like post-GCSE maths and chemistry as not everyone had done those at A level but because I did I found it all pretty simple. I think Biology isn't really that difficult anyway just you need an insane memory to know it all.

Wish it was same for me, we were thrown straight into calculus there was one module called transition maths which helped with all the A grade stuff covered in a levels but every other module was intense, still averaged a 70 lol
How to go down on a girl.
Original post by Eilidhsimon
Why not pay for societies? Isn't that the only way you can join?

You can still attend them without paying at the beggening. Couldn't be bothered with societies either, they were too late in the day, and time consuming. Especially when you're doing maths
Reply 13
You can still attend them without paying at the beggening. Couldn't be bothered with societies either, they were too late in the day, and time consuming. Especially when you're doing maths

Oh god I could never do maths, I'm starting uni this year so this is really helpful info hahaha, I want to join a few societies and clubs though
Original post by Eilidhsimon
Oh god I could never do maths, I'm starting uni this year so this is really helpful info hahaha, I want to join a few societies and clubs though

For my uni you can just pay later to join a society officially. Just sign up for all the societies u wanna join and follow on facebook, that way u can just aattend any sessions
Join a sports team in 1st year!
Original post by Strawberry68
Join a sports team in 1st year!

Not good at sports, why would u suggest this anyway
Not good at sports, why would u suggest this anyway

You don't have to be professional! You'll improve as you go along! It's a good way to make lots of new friends and will improve your quality of life in terms of health and mood.
Original post by Strawberry68
You don't have to be professional! You'll improve as you go along! It's a good way to make lots of new friends and will improve your quality of life in terms of health and mood.

Lol when you're dumb and slow as me sports is torture
Internships, internships, internships

or NO one will employ you

Quick Reply

Latest