The Student Room Group

Learning languages (German, Norwegian, Spanish, French)

Scroll to see replies

I just downloaded the app on my iPhone and basically you input the subjects you know and want to learn, and imagine it like Facebook, you put up a post and people private message you. During exam time last year I did not have a lot of time to spend on it but I had conversations with people from the UK just about everyday life and we are still friends over a year later. I have never had a problem with people harassing you or annoying because everyone is so friendly! Have never used the video chat either but pressume its much like Skype or FaceTime
Original post by 06MacDonaldA5
I just downloaded the app on my iPhone and basically you input the subjects you know and want to learn, and imagine it like Facebook, you put up a post and people private message you. During exam time last year I did not have a lot of time to spend on it but I had conversations with people from the UK just about everyday life and we are still friends over a year later. I have never had a problem with people harassing you or annoying because everyone is so friendly! Have never used the video chat either but pressume its much like Skype or FaceTime

Oh that sounds cool. I would love to make more connections with people around the world. I have Swiss students in my school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just thought of something I watched in Norwegian...its called Jackpot. It's quite graphic, I believe its an 18, but I watched it when I was maybe 14 or 15 and to be fair it is one of my favourite films!
I just thought of something I watched in Norwegian...its called Jackpot. It's quite graphic, I believe its an 18, but I watched it when I was maybe 14 or 15 and to be fair it is one of my favourite films!

I might try and watch that, but I'm not good with watching graphic detail :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Besides the details, its very funny!
I watch German youtubers, listen to German music, and watch German films :smile: If I get into my uni course (Frenh and German) I'm so excited to watch/listen to French stuff too yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
Reply 26
Je peux presque parler couramment français, après être passé deux ans en l'apprennant chaque jour avec beaucoup d'effort. I am currently learning Norwegian (Bokmål), Danish, Croatian (just started), Irish (just started), Finnish (just started) and planning to learn Bulgarian, Mongolian, Tibetan, Dutch, Frisian, Welsh, Yoruba, Russian, Polish, Slovak and German. As you can see I am a real language lover.
No way! This is so talented of you! How do you find the time!? Do you go to school or university still or just manage to work languages around your daily life?

Original post by Auzdog
Je peux presque parler couramment français, après être passé deux ans en l'apprennant chaque jour avec beaucoup d'effort. I am currently learning Norwegian (Bokmål), Danish, Croatian (just started), Irish (just started), Finnish (just started) and planning to learn Bulgarian, Mongolian, Tibetan, Dutch, Frisian, Welsh, Yoruba, Russian, Polish, Slovak and German. As you can see I am a real language lover.
Reply 28
No way! This is so talented of you! How do you find the time!? Do you go to school or university still or just manage to work languages around your daily life?

Guess what mate I just have the motivation. I just spend my time learning vocabulary instead of scrolling Facebook or Instagram and make myself a time table. I am still doing my GCSEs now so I have time. I tell myself that I am going to absolutely nail French and finish my Norwegian textbook in 15 days after the GCSEs (which ends on the 19th of June).
Remember, MOTIVATION IS KING!
Reply 29

I use a flashcard app called Quizlet, which is very efficient. I successfully learned 300 French words in just 4 days.
I used Duolingo French, although it did give me a solid base but I find it irritating, especially the sound effects.
I have a Norwegian friend so I can practice with her regularly in the future.
And I watch Youtube channels in French, regardless of how much I understand, as I know I will get better everytime.
Original post by Auzdog

Omg you're learning Croatian! So happy that someone wants to learn our forgotten little language ^_^ how are you finding it so far? Ako hoćeš ćaskati na hrvatskom na raspolaganju sam :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Sonechka
Omg you're learning Croatian! So happy that someone wants to learn our forgotten little language ^_^ how are you finding it so far? Ako hoćeš ćaskati na hrvatskom na raspolaganju sam :smile:

Hvala ti!!!! I'm so lucky to find a Croatian native!!!! Apsolutno volim plaže, haha!
I have started using quizlet too! It's fantastic! I'm doing Highers (which is closest to A levels) so I guess there's a bit more time I've got to spend on school stuff. In the summer I do want to develop my languages, although I will have a job so I hope I can manage my time well😌😌😌
Original post by Auzdog
I use a flashcard app called Quizlet, which is very efficient. I successfully learned 300 French words in just 4 days.
I used Duolingo French, although it did give me a solid base but I find it irritating, especially the sound effects.
And I watch Youtube channels in French, regardless of how much I understand, as I know I will get better everytime.
And also how did you meet with your Norwegian friend? I'm always looking for more of the Norwegian community!
I tend to find people through my auntie's family, their friends and apps such as Tandem
Original post by Auzdog
Original post by Auzdog
Hvala ti!!!! I'm so lucky to find a Croatian native!!!! Apsolutno volim plaže, haha!

Jesi li ikad išao u Hrvatsku? Najbolje su hrvatske plaže! (one su dobra motivacija za učenje hrvatskog haha)
Reply 35
And also how did you meet with your Norwegian friend? I'm always looking for more of the Norwegian community!
I tend to find people through my auntie's family, their friends and apps such as Tandem

Yea I used Tandem for a while before I stopped because the people there are pretty random. I met my Norwegian friend at an internation scout camp in Japan.
I think you mentioned Memrise as well. Well, I am not against it, but I find it too slow, and my patience is flipping thin. I literally want to marry Quizlet, it's just perfect.
Reply 36
Original post by Sonechka
Jesi li ikad išao u Hrvatsku? Najbolje su hrvatske plaže! (one su dobra motivacija za učenje hrvatskog haha)

Nažalost govorim samo osnovoni hrvatski, a nisam išao u Hrvatsku...:frown: Ali znam da je to jako lijepa
Yeah, I haven't used Tandem in about a year, purely because I couldn't find the time to chat to any random person! It seems like you've done some really great travelling too! Ever had an interest in learning Japanese? I know what you mean about memrise, quite good for vocal but phrases I'd be more likely to look elsewhere. Ever have ambitions to do a career with languages? I think you're very capable of it! Any of your subjects at school very language based? I took German last year...no languages this year (my subjects this year are Graph Comm, Art, Business Studies, English and History) I'd like to do business in the future which could probably link with languages. Although next year I go back to German yay! (along with History, Geography and Modern Studies
Original post by Auzdog
Yea I used Tandem for a while before I stopped because the people there are pretty random. I met my Norwegian friend at an internation scout camp in Japan.
I think you mentioned Memrise as well. Well, I am not against it, but I find it too slow, and my patience is flipping thin. I literally want to marry Quizlet, it's just perfect.
Reply 38

I've recently bought a book from a charity shop with 500 French verbs with full conjugations, just for £2.99, and I am about to put all of them on Quizlet.
To be honest French is already comparatively easy. Think about Polish.
I should check out charity shops for books relating to languages...after all I'm no stranger in them. I used to work in 2. Would be ideal to have your quizlet name, so I can check some of your stuff out! I'm going to shut off for now, after a busy week of 3 exams! Goodnight, speak soon!
Original post by Auzdog
I've recently bought a book from a charity shop with 500 French verbs with full conjugations, just for £2.99, and I am about to put all of them on Quizlet.
To be honest French is already comparatively easy. Think about Polish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending