The Student Room Group

Applying for the loan

Hi,

I wanted to clarify whether I can get the student finance loan if my grandmoter is a EU national. As far as I am concerned, I was born in EU country and I have always lived there.

Best wishes,
Maxim
Reply 1
Original post by Maxim Maliarov
Hi,

I wanted to clarify whether I can get the student finance loan if my grandmoter is a EU national. As far as I am concerned, I was born in EU country and I have always lived there.

Best wishes,
Maxim

You entitlement is by residency not nationality.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/eu-students
Original post by Doonesbury
You entitlement is by residency not nationality.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/eu-students

Does this mean that I am eligible for student finance without any fuss even if I am not a national of a EU country? (I am from Estonia)
Reply 3
Does this mean that I am eligible for student finance without any fuss even if I am not a national of a EU country? (I am from Estonia)

Read the entitlement info. Have you lived there for 3+ years?

Estonia is an EU country.

Also check
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/Government-Student-Support#layer-6193

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Thanks for reply, I have lived here for 19 years, since the birth.
Hi,

Best wishes,
Maxim

Hi Maxim,

If you are an EU National and have lived in the EU for your whole life, you would be eligible to apply for funding as an EU student. This would allow you to receive a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of your course.

Thanks
Original post by Chris SFE
Hi Maxim,

If you are an EU National and have lived in the EU for your whole life, you would be eligible to apply for funding as an EU student. This would allow you to receive a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of your course.

Thanks

Hi,

The problem is that I am not an EU national yet, however, I am in a process of receiving EU nationality, it is just a matter of a couple of months.

Kind regards,
Maxim
Reply 7
Hi,

The problem is that I am not an EU national yet, however, I am in a process of receiving EU nationality, it is just a matter of a couple of months.

Kind regards,
Maxim

You were born there though?
You were born there though?

Hi,

Yes, I was born in Estonia and I have never left te country for more than summer holidays.

Kind regards,
Maxim
Reply 9
Hi,

Yes, I was born in Estonia and I have never left te country for more than summer holidays.

Kind regards,
Maxim

So are you claiming citizenship by birth or naturalisation. Do you have an Estonian parent?
So are you claiming citizenship by birth or naturalisation. Do you have an Estonian parent?

By naturalisation, no my parents are not EU nationals, only my grandmoter is.
Reply 11
By naturalisation, no my parents are not EU nationals, only my grandmoter is.

Ok so I'm not an expert on this but you might have to wait until you have completed the naturalisation process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Kind regards,
Maxim

Hi Maxim,

If you were born in Estonia and have lived there all your life this would normally mean that you are considered an EU National but if this is not the case, could you confirm what your nationality is?

Thanks
Hi Maxim,

If you were born in Estonia and have lived there all your life this would normally mean that you are considered an EU National but if this is not the case, could you confirm what your nationality is?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, as of now I am Ukranian, however, in a couple of weeks (months at the latest) I will have gotten Estonian nationality. It is a matter of time, I do not know when exactly.

Kind regards,
Maxim
Hi,

Thanks for your answer, as of now I am Ukranian, however, in a couple of weeks (months at the latest) I will have gotten Estonian nationality. It is a matter of time, I do not know when exactly.

Kind regards,
Maxim

Hi Maxim,

In this case, your eligibility will likely be determined by when you complete the naturalisation process. If this is granted before the start of the academic year, you should be entitled to funding.

Thanks
Reply 15
Hi Maxim,

In this case, your eligibility will likely be determined by when you complete the naturalisation process. If this is granted before the start of the academic year, you should be entitled to funding.

Thanks

And if it's delayed can Maxim defer his university place, complete the naturalisation, and reapply for finance next year?
And if it's delayed can Maxim defer his university place, complete the naturalisation, and reapply for finance next year?

Hi,

Absolutely. He could even apply for a January 2018 intake of his course (if available) provided the naturalisation process was complete by December 31st.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending