OCR History A (New): Civil Rights in the USA Y319 - 09 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

Poll: Which topic area is your favourite?
African Americans (42)
48.84%
Native Americans (24)
27.91%
Trade Unions (7)
8.14%
Women (13)
15.12%
username2015015
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys!

I haven't seen a thread about this yet so here you go! As the title suggests, this is a forum to talk about the Civil Rights exam, looking at the topic areas: African Americans, Native Americans, Trade Unions and Women.

Is anyone else really struggling to revise for the interpretations? I find it so difficult to structure my essays (especially turning points), any advice?
emmap1998
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by blue2337)
Hey guys!

I haven't seen a thread about this yet so here you go! As the title suggests, this is a forum to talk about the Civil Rights exam, looking at the topic areas: African Americans, Native Americans, Trade Unions and Women.

Is anyone else really struggling to revise for the interpretations? I find it so difficult to structure my essays (especially turning points), any advice?
Hey! I've been advised to structure my essays mainly in economic, political and social factors (and cultural for Native Americans). So for turning point questions a paragraph would look like:

Named factor was an economic turning point
Other factor was more of a tuning point
Another factor was more of a turning point
(Repeat for political and social)

Because that way you can cross examine factors from across the period.

If it's a question like 'Presidents were the most important factor...' I've been told to structure it by factor e.g.:

Presidents were most important
Presidents were not important
Other factor was also important
Another factor was also important

Hope this helps, it's really hard to get your head around
Hasanalm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emmap1998)
Hey! I've been advised to structure my essays mainly in economic, political and social factors (and cultural for Native Americans). So for turning point questions a paragraph would look like:

Named factor was an economic turning point
Other factor was more of a tuning point
Another factor was more of a turning point
(Repeat for political and social)

Because that way you can cross examine factors from across the period.

If it's a question like 'Presidents were the most important factor...' I've been told to structure it by factor e.g.:

Presidents were most important
Presidents were not important
Other factor was also important
Another factor was also important

Hope this helps, it's really hard to get your head around
I also adopt the same exact structure; How's your revision going so far?
TSRdebater1453
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, i'm Abdul from London. I'm in my second year of sixth form. As you know, we now have a new spec and this is a 2 1/2 hour exam, so I have created this thread so that we can discuss exam strategies and question predictions.

Note: Exam board: OCR ONLY.

Feel free to participate and ask questions. We're all here to learn!
emmap1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought revision was going ok, but I got my mock back last week and I didn't do too well. I think I need to work more on essay technique. What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey guys!

Wold you like some practice source questions?
I too am doing this exam in 20 days:woo:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I see you're online emmap1998, how's the revision going?
emmap1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd love some source questions if you have some, thank you! I have a few from the revision guide but it's annoying there's no past papers. Revision isn't actually going too well, I'm pretty ill so am not really up for doing anything today
username2015015
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Wold you like some practice source questions?
I too am doing this exam in 20 days:woo:
I would love some, thank you so much! <3
Pearsond123
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any educated guesses on what questions could come up ?
TSRdebater1453
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Pearsond123)
To be honest it could be anything but you could start off by excluding everything mentioned in the specimen paper because those will not come up.

Also, I have a question. What are your subthemes for each unit?
TSRdebater1453
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I said anything because it's new spec and we can't really follow a trend.
nitrocuddles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My teacher thinks there may be a question on Native Americans and the Supreme Court.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Airmed, don't know what you feel about this but there's two threads here discussing the same exam unit. Do they need merging?
Other thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4718948
Saw your name in the mod box and thought you'd be a speedy responder.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would love some, thank you so much! <3
(Original post by emmap1998)
I'd love some source questions if you have some, thank you! I have a few from the revision guide but it's annoying there's no past papers. Revision isn't actually going too well, I'm pretty ill so am not really up for doing anything today
I'm very sorry but I haven't had the time that I thought I would do to type these out.

However, I did stumble across this document when looking for something else, and it's very very useful. Look at page 28. They can produce a different interpretations question debating each of those (34) questions. My prediction is that the exam will have gilded age, based on the amount of questions on it.

I have been using sources out of this book but they tend to have only one source per depth study, though some have 2.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Airmed, don't know what you feel about this but there's two threads here discussing the same exam unit. Do they need merging?
Other thread is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4718948
Saw your name in the mod box and thought you'd be a speedy responder.
Merged If you see any other cases like this in SH, tag me in and I will do the same
username2015015
Rep:
?
I think that they might do an interpretations question on Black Power and African Americans maybe? Or women in the Gilded Age? I'm just trying to learn the main actions of the President, SC, Congress, opposition, protest groups, impact of economic/political climate. Then you've got a structure there no matter what question comes up!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Gilded Age source question (don't know what on).

Question about internal divisions (don't know what on).

And a question about whether AAs/NAs/TUs/W are responsible for their own civil rights.
charlottewilso98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think the interpretation might be Native Americans, they're the only group with no interpretation question in either the textbook or revision guide, and maybe black power, because once again there's no essays on that.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by charlottewilso98)
I think the interpretation might be Native Americans, they're the only group with no interpretation question in either the textbook or revision guide, and maybe black power, because once again there's no essays on that.
What you mean?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.26%
Disagree (4)
7.41%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
27.78%
Agree (19)
35.19%
Strongly Agree (11)
20.37%

Watched Threads