Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Still phoning my first choice..what to do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get my Imperial offer for Biochemistry but I've been phoning up and now they've said that they still haven't made a decision and phone back on monday or something. I'm getting really worried now. Should I phone them again and ask to speak to the person making the decisions and grovel? lol The careers adviser asked me to speak to the person making the decisions aswell but I'm not sure if it'd make things worse since they'd be pretty busy and everything? And I don't know what to say really except I really want to do the course and that would just sound lame :confused:

ReputationRep:
    keep on phoning,that is what i did,and they refused at the beginning,but they gave me the offer the next day.

ReputationRep:
    did u meet the offer? i got in for biochem at birmingham uni, was soo relieved

ReputationRep:

Stage A) Phone up and grovel- stating how good you are and how good they are.
    Stage B) Locate their address and home telephone number, send gift baskets of muffins, flowers, chocolate, champagne- other assorted gifts.
    Stage C) Send cash bribe.
    Stage D) Threaten Death
    Stage E) Threaten Death of family.
    Stage F) Carry out D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asphyxiating)
    I didn't get my Imperial offer for Biochemistry but I've been phoning up and now they've said that they still haven't made a decision and phone back on monday or something. I'm getting really worried now. Should I phone them again and ask to speak to the person making the decisions and grovel? lol The careers adviser asked me to speak to the person making the decisions aswell but I'm not sure if it'd make things worse since they'd be pretty busy and everything? And I don't know what to say really except I really want to do the course and that would just sound lame :confused:
    I'm in exactly the same position as you (well, except for the subject - I'm going to do Maths).

Firstly, my advisor tried to ring up yesterday, but they said to call during office opening hours (recorded message). I rang the general number myself later in the day, and was told that my best bet was to fax them with the results sheet of the subject I missed the grade on (Physics - by two marks).

I did that, but heard nothing. So I rang them again today. Firstly, no-one answered the phone. I tried e-mailing them but got an automated response. I phoned them again, and was told to ring the Maths department. I tried that but it was busy. I must have pressed the re-dial button 30 times before I got through, and when I did I was told my position was still under consideration and that I should phone back on Monday afternoon to find out their decision - if one had even been made by then.

All I can say is.... aaarrgghh!!!! I need to find out, asap, whether I've got the place or not so I can phone up my insurance (Nottingham) if I need to!

I hate being in the dark.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I rung up and spoke to my admissions tutor and he said the course was so oversubscribed that they were unable to take me or anyone else with a B in chemistry, why could they not have told me sooner now I have wasted 2 days and I don't know what to do now. I have asked them to consider me for other courses at Imperial and may think about taking Chemistry if I get it but my parents have advised me not to take pure science courses. I don't really want to go to my insurance, bit of a bugger I know. But I'm thinking about a year out in industry or something perhaps and then reapplying for something else like Chemical Engineering at Imperial as they said I had the grades for it so if I applied early it may be ok. Any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I rung up and spoke to my admissions tutor and he said the course was so oversubscribed that they were unable to take me or anyone else with a B in chemistry, why could they not have told me sooner now I have wasted 2 days and I don't know what to do now. I have asked them to consider me for other courses at Imperial and may think about taking Chemistry if I get it but my parents have advised me not to take pure science courses. I don't really want to go to my insurance, bit of a bugger I know. But I'm thinking about a year out in industry or something perhaps and then reapplying for something else like Chemical Engineering at Imperial as they said I had the grades for it so if I applied early it may be ok. Any other ideas?
    Well done on getting a response, even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear. Whatever you choose to do, at least the choice is yours at the moment. All I can suggest is to take the week-end to think very hard about what you want to do, and talk it over with your good friends and family.

At least you can move on and start making decisions - I'm still stuck here in limbo until Monday.

ReputationRep:
    Late last night, Imperial still had places for Chemistry, Bio-engineering, Agricultural sciences and materials.

Many top universities have places begging for Physics, Chemistry and all types of Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Late last night, Imperial still had places for Chemistry, Bio-engineering, Agricultural sciences and materials.

Many top universities have places begging for Physics, Chemistry and all types of Engineering.
    Do I need an A in Chemistry? I am phoning up on monday but the prospectus I had..maybe a bit old (2003) said BBB standard offer for Chemistry but the 2005-6 prospectus on the website says ABB with A in Chemistry but I think i'll try anyway on monday. Unfortunately I don't have physics so a lot of their courses can't apply to me I phoned up Chem Eng and they said they were really full this year but that my grades would be fine if I wanted to apply next year instead and if I apply early should be ok. Not sure what to do yet though :confused: If I take a gap year I'm gonna need a year in industry or something, any ideas of websites? I've had a lot at yini.com and shell and astra zeneca but can't find anything pre-university and yini.com are asking for 25 pounds just for an application? :eek: hmm

ReputationRep:
    Well, guess what has happened to me?
    UCAS and Leeds didn't recieve my goddamn English Lit Result becasue of some stupid mistake by WJEC. So Leeds rejected me thinking that I only got 2 A Levels! I got AAB (I missed an A by 10 UMS marks), so I rang up Leeds and the admssions lady said that they only knew if I had got in or not - they didn't know about the grades. So I told them and she said that there is nothing that she could do about it. Later she said unconvincingly that she had recieved all my results. I have just found out from UCAS that none of the have got all my A Level results! :mad: Because of this error by thw WJEC Board I have been forced to consider taking a gap year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    UCAS and Leeds didn't recieve my goddamn English Lit Result becasue of some stupid mistake by WJEC. So Leeds rejected me thinking that I only got 2 A Levels! I got AAB (I missed an A by 10 UMS marks), so I rang up Leeds and the admssions lady said that they only knew if I had got in or not - they didn't know about the grades. So I told them and she said that there is nothing that she could do about it. Later she said unconvincingly that she had recieved all my results. I have just found out from UCAS that none of the have got all my A Level results! :mad: Because of this error by thw WJEC Board I have been forced to consider taking a gap year!
    Could you not sue WJEC for the cost of your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    That's disgraceful, Misbah.

If I were you, I'd fax through all your results sheets to the admissions department at Leeds (and to UCAS if you can), and attach a letter to it explaining the predicament that you're in.

You can't just sit back and accept the error - the work you put in and the grades that you achieved surely demand that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 85ah11)
    That's disgraceful, Misbah.

If I were you, I'd fax through all your results sheets to the admissions department at Leeds (and to UCAS if you can), and attach a letter to it explaining the predicament that you're in.

You can't just sit back and accept the error - the work you put in and the grades that you achieved surely demand that.
    I've just sent off my WJEC sheet to UCAS and a letter saying whats happened. I've asked them to formally tell Leeds what the problem is, because they won't beleive me otherwise. I've emailed the Leeds Law Dept. and told them to get into contact with my College who said that they are doing an inquiry.
    I've just got to wait now....

ReputationRep:
    Was your offer AAB or AAA?

They are contractually bound to take you if you meet the offer by Aug 31st. If they have assumed you didn't meet the offer and re-allocated your place to someone else then thats their problem not yours, but they will do anything they can to dissuade you from going this year.

If you met the offer, and through a clerical error they didn't know, then you need the exam board to confirm with the university.

If your offer was AAA, then they are within their rights to reject you.

ReputationRep:
    For Asphyxiating and 85ah11,

I was in the same boat as you with Imperial, I missed an A by 4 marks as I totally screwed up my written papers for some reason, good thing for coursework! I rang the Earth Sciences admissions office every few hours until I got an answer yesterday. I also found out the Imperial database isn't refreshed at a very often, so UCAS won't recieve it for a few hours.
    Stick in there, and best of luck.

Chris

ReputationRep:
    And I thought it was just me...
    My offer from Bristol was AAB and I got AAA, but when nothing came through from UCAS I got a bit concerned and phoned Bristol yesterday to check. Turned out they hadn't received any of my exam results from UCAS, but no one had bothered to inform me of this. The guy told me to fax through my results sheets, so I did that yesterday afternoon. As yet I've heard nothing back, but I guess the weekend will slow things down. Is there anything else I need to do? The bloke at Bristol did tell me that if I've met the grades, I shouldn't be worried because they have to give me a place.
    Fingers crossed we both get this sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris L)
    For Asphyxiating and 85ah11,

I was in the same boat as you with Imperial, I missed an A by 4 marks as I totally screwed up my written papers for some reason, good thing for coursework! I rang the Earth Sciences admissions office every few hours until I got an answer yesterday. I also found out the Imperial database isn't refreshed at a very often, so UCAS won't recieve it for a few hours.
    Stick in there, and best of luck.

Chris
    Thanks a lot for that. I finally found out this afternoon that I've been accepted!

ReputationRep:
    I found out today that Imperial could take me for Chemistry or Biology so I'm hoping to take up the Chemistry offer Only thing is, because Biochemistry already updated UCAS to decline me, I had to ask my insurance to release me, not sure if they have yet. Now I will have to wait for a clearing form and everything..all Biochemistry's fault! They could've just done it internally otherwise :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.