Henry Palasciano
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A uniform meter ruler of mass 80g is balanced on 2 pivots placed at 10 and 65 cm from the left hand side. A mass of 100g is placed on the ruler. Find:
a) the upward force from each pivot when the mass is placed i) at the left hand end of the ruler and ii) at 50cm from the left hand side.
b) where the mass must be placed so that the upward force from the left hand pivot is 0.

I get: a) i) F1=1.37 and F2=0.4, ii) F1=1.28 and F2=0.49, b) 77cm from the left hand side.
The wjec revision guide gives different answers, howeve I think I'm right.

Thanks for any help.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
x
pleasedtobeatyou
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Henry Palasciano)
A uniform meter ruler of mass 80g is balanced on 2 pivots placed at 10 and 65 cm from the left hand side. A mass of 100g is placed on the ruler. Find:
a) the upward force from each pivot when the mass is placed i) at the left hand end of the ruler and ii) at 50cm from the left hand side.
b) where the mass must be placed so that the upward force from the left hand pivot is 0.

I get: a) i) F1=1.37 and F2=0.4, ii) F1=1.28 and F2=0.49, b) 77cm from the left hand side.
The wjec revision guide gives different answers, howeve I think I'm right.

Thanks for any help.
Yes, I think you are right (for all your answers). However, your reaction forces for aii) are the wrong way round.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.79%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.58%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (32)
21.19%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.27%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.17%

Watched Threads