Maths proportion question help

Watch this thread
THEgurlxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys i need help, on question 16 of this booklet. I know graph D is the first statement, but i don't know the rest. Thanks.

http://www.esherhigh.surrey.sch.uk/u...0_Paper_1H.pdf
Arayan01
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Let's start off with the easier ones. If you don't know already, a quadratic is a U-shaped graph. So if we create a formula for y being proportional to the square of x, we get y = kx^2, where k any constant. We see that x has a power of ^2, which is the greatest power, so it must be a quadratic. Now, this must match up with graph B.

For inversely proportional, we know the formula will look something like this. y= k/x, where k is a constant. Let's say for example that k is equal to 1, and x is equal to 0.01. So now we have y=1/0.01, which means y= 100. We do this when x = 0.02, y will equal 50. So when x is smallest, y will be greatest (and vice versa). If we plot a couple of points similar to the ones I just mentioned, you'll get a graph that looks like graph A.
We only have 1 graph left, which means graph C must be inversely proportional to the square of x.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (1)
50%
No (0)
0%
I didn't use it to prepare (1)
50%

Watched Threads