The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is homosexuality always on television?

Hear me out. Fair enough they have equal rights which I think is great OK. I am NOT homophobic but a scene in last nights episode of Casualty (which wasn't relevant to the story) made me turn it off. Why is it always forced into people's faces? Live and Let live, yeah but that doesn't mean that you have to force your beliefs onto others.

The same goes for if there was a scene which wasn't relevant between a heterosexual couple.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why you forcing your hetrosexuality then?
The belief that gay people exist?

Gay people exist and why does their gayness need to have large narrative significance to be included in fiction? Heterosexual people are in fiction all the time for no real narrative compelling reason lol

Here is some more gay for yah

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
You wouldn't bat an eyelid if it was a heterosexual couple on screen. A scene portraying someones relationship isn't 'forcing beliefs onto others' it's simply showing a characters story. You obviously have an issue with homosexuality.
Original post by feministy
Why you forcing your hetrosexuality then?

I'm not. I am saying that they are boasting as if to say 'we have the right and their is nothing you can do about it'. The scene was total unnecessary. I will be voicing my opinion to head of drama at B.B.C. television.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The belief that gay people exist?

Here is some more gay for yah

Spoiler

I know they exist but I don't want to watch it every time I turn on the television.
What was the scene?
Original post by Chief BlueMeanie
I am NOT homophobic but

Obviously you are if it makes you so repulsed as to have to turn the channel over :curious:
I know they exist but I don't want to watch it every time I turn on the television.

Tough. Don't watch TV or research each show to make sure there is no gay.

Gay people exist and why does their gayness need to have large narrative significance to be included in fiction? Heterosexual people are in fiction all the time for no real narrative compelling reason lol

If anything a complete absence of gay people in fiction is more weird and less representative of real life (which is what Hospital dramas often go for, some kind of rooting in real life).
Original post by Wilfred Little
What was the scene?

The scene outside between the son and the ambulance driver.
they are rubbing it in your face.
be careful.
they might try and infect you with the gay!!
its obviously a conspiracy to get to you! Hide!

ffs. why do you care? you know many hetro relationships are on tv, do you turn off for them too?
i enjoy seeing gay couples on tv, as long as its not for the scandal, just casual like any other relationship. It makes me happy that we are moving forward as a society and proving we aren't still in the stone age.
The liberal media are trying to get more people to become homosexual through propaganda promoting homosexuality, which is part of the globalist attempt to destroy the British people.
Original post by leonross97
Obviously you are if it makes you so repulsed as to have to turn the channel over :curious:

Nope. I listen to queen and Freddie was gay. I just don't like it when it isn't relevant to the programme the same implies if it is an unnecessary sex scene between a man and a women.
See this is why I hate breeders; if I have to believe any woman wants to have sex with or even be in the VICINITY of Nicholas Cage and it's "not forcing beliefs on the viewers" y'all can damn well sit down and watch a gay couple on TV.

smh.
I'm not. I am saying that they are boasting as if to say 'we have the right and their is nothing you can do about it'. The scene was total unnecessary. I will be voicing my opinion to head of drama at B.B.C. television.

If I ever find myself making some kind of fiction I'm gonna put LGBT people in it just because I can. If only so I can annoy people like yourself. :smile:

May the culture war continue.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
Hear me out. Fair enough they have equal rights which I think is great OK. I am NOT homophobic but a scene in last nights episode of Casualty (which wasn't relevant to the story) made me turn it off. Why is it always forced into people's faces? Live and Let live, yeah but that doesn't mean that you have to force your beliefs onto others.

Until homosexuality is normalised then it must be represented in the media in a positive light. The 'over-representation' you're describing is just a symptom of an unequal society. Only a few days ago - a member of the conservative party claimed that homosexuality was dangerous. How can we not represnt homosexuals in a positive way when there are still views like this as ingrained in society as to manifest in our political sphere? That's surely reason enough?

Also, in a purely anecdotal fashion, I have no evidence for this as such, but I believe that gay people work alot harder to become successful as a way to overcompensate for their perceived social stigmas. They believe that if they are smarter, stronger, more successful than their peers that they will be happier and more accepted in society. This is rarely the case, but again, a symptom that gay people still do not feel accepted in society completely.

The stigmas are there still, albeit reduced. We need representation for gay people and lots of it - until it no longer features as a culturally negative belief amongst those who still believe it is.
Oh wait nvm I know what you're talking about lol I've never watched that though. Is last night the 1st episode the couple was in?
Original post by 0to100
Oh wait nvm I know what you're talking about lol I've never watched that though. Is last night the 1st episode the couple was in?

I wasn't a couple they were strangers to one another.

You are obviously homophobic.
wow your lesbophobic!!

#WOMENZWORLD2K17

Latest