philipthegreat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I'm a medicine hopeful and I was wondering if anyone who had got into medicine could share the work experience they had done to get in and what subjects they picked.
StationToStation
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't live in the UK and didn't do A levels so my response would be less relevant for you, but here is a thread full of applicant profiles: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post70950108

Try to remember that the people who post on these threads tend to be quite high-achieving - you don't NEED to have done as much stuff in order to get into med school.
philipthegreat
Rep:
?
(Original post by StationToStation)
I don't live in the UK and didn't do A levels so my response would be less relevant for you, but here is a thread full of applicant profiles: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post70950108

Try to remember that the people who post on these threads tend to be quite high-achieving - you don't NEED to have done as much stuff in order to get into med school.
Thank you!
Rasaa22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by philipthegreat)
Hi,
I'm a medicine hopeful and I was wondering if anyone who had got into medicine could share the work experience they had done to get in and what subjects they picked.
IM WITH YOU!
At the moment I'm working as a HCA in A&E department which made me want to look into medicine and I've set my mind. If you could get into A&E it's the best place to be because you get to work with really good doctors and lots of specialities
philipthegreat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rasaa22)
IM WITH YOU!
At the moment I'm working as a HCA in A&E department which made me want to look into medicine and I've set my mind. If you could get into A&E it's the best place to be because you get to work with really good doctors and lots of specialities
Hi Rassa,
How did you get a place in the A and E? I've emailed a lot of Gp practices but have been declined from all. Should I just email hospitals and ask?
Rasaa22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Rassa,
How did you get a place in the A and E? I've emailed a lot of Gp practices but have been declined from all. Should I just email hospitals and ask?
Well I have been working in healthcare setting for about 4 years now, applied for a job in A&E and got it. Where do you live and how old are you? See if I can help if you live close by?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi Rassa,
GP practices tend to be difficult due to patient confidentiality issues; hospitals are a better bet. But more achievable and likely options are roles in care homes, hospices and similar. The main thing medical schools seem to be looking for are a) an awareness of the NHS and the role of a doctor in it, and in relation to patients b) experience in a caring role so they know you have some shred of empathy and c) a tick box to demonstrate a long commitment to medicine (given that the length of the course and training requires a good deal of planning, resilience and stamina).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (7)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
14.29%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
7.14%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
14.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (1)
7.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
7.14%

Watched Threads